Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's over, for me...

I'm reading too many stories of guys going through the ice and some losing their lives over a chance to ice fish. I'm not seeing any long range (week to 10 days) forecasts that are showing the temps staying below freezing to continue good ice growth.

I checked my gear and had it loaded in the truck, ready to go, but have taken it back out and put it in the garage. Around the Lima, Ohio area, it's either open water or 2" of ice...at best. I am not trusting my life to anything less than 4" or 5" of ice. It's just not worth it!

Even in 2010, when there was good ice for a long period of time, once the temps got over 45 degrees the ice quickly melted and became unstable...by the second week of February.

On the less windy days, I'm leaning toward getting my kayak back out and going fishing. :smiley_bril:

Good luck to all and be extremely careful out there!
Bowhunter57

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I don't blame you one bit! Alway's made me nervous to hear the ice settling and there was 9" of ice back then....... Fugg-that! They sell fish in most all grocery stores:smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wise thinking Daniel. I believe there is a gun show this weekend. Maybe I could go drop $2-3k on an AR that would have been $6-800 a month ago. lmao

hickslawns said:
Maybe I could go drop $2-3k on an AR that would have been $6-800 a month ago. lmao
Phil,
It's being done...even as I type this out. My cousin just called me from there and said that he witnessed a guy selling a standard style AR for $1600. Nutz! :smiley_chinrub: Just the same...a nice way to double your money.

I'll probably go out tomorrow and enjoy the zoo. Today is out! It's my wife's birthday. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't blame you either, 57. Two inches of ice isn't enough to fish confidently, IMO. That being said... I'm heading up to fish some marinas near Sandusky Bay in a few hours. Not super-thick ice, but enough to make it fishable. Who knows if we'll have another chance after this warm-up so I'm going.