Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"s 2012-13 Hunting log

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I liked it last year gave me something too read and I feel you can actually learn from your day too day log as well as others......

Sat on a power line right away on a well used trail that deer take too a bedding area but have too cross a road too get too it.... Not much traffic on the weekends a little more during the week with school in..... Watched 2 does play tag for about a half an hour out on the right away and they eventually made they're way up too me but not close enough for a shot, once they tired themselves out they bedded in the tall grass and after about 15 minutes got up and browsed their way into the thicket accross from me..... That was all the action for the morning..... Couple of squirrels and chipmunks and lots of geese that was almost deaffning at day break.... Seems too be a lot of hawks around this year as well counted 4 of them flying around the swamp at once..... Seemed too excercising their vocal chords as well screeching quite a bit.....

Well off too the shower and back in the woods.... Hope y'all had a better day and an even better evening coming up.....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't know why, but it always makes my day when a deer beds down around me. Makes me feel like I have won the battle of scent control and movement, but I also enjoy seeing a deer fully relaxed in the wild. That's something you never see with a gun in your hand...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well tonight was a bust.... no deer sightings at all.... had a buzzard land in a tree 20' from me.... man that bird was breathing heavey and really loud.... kind of surprised how hard it was breathing.... tried too vet a picture but flew off as soon as I started too move for my phone.... had 6 hen turkeys in front of me for close too an hour they just kept making laps around my stand.... kind of cool and killed an hour..... still all in all it was a great day too b in the woods.... rain moving in over night so not sure I'll make it out in the morning..... hope you evening hunt was more eventful then mine lol...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No hunting this morning might sneak out this after noon we'll see what happens....

Morning hunt -1
Evening hunt -1
Doe - 2
Buck - 0
Fox squirrel's -2
Gray squirrel's - 2
Turkeys - 6
Buzzards with in range - 1

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Morning hunt -1
Evening hunt -2
Doe - 2
Buck - 0
Fox squirrel's -2
Gray squirrel's - 2
Turkeys - 6

Well, went out and got on stand around 3:00 sat until dark and saw nothing the entire night..... Me thinks this stand in not a evening stand.... Trail camera showed good traffic before season, I need too pull the card and see what time they've been moving through since season started.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Things will start picking up soon J. We all just don't want to burn out our stands or burn ourselves out before the action starts heating up. Lol

It's tough but had you NOT gone out tonight you'd be left wondering if tonight was the night. I've done that many times over a season TOO. Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Things will start picking up soon J. We all just don't want to burn out our stands or burn ourselves out before the action starts heating up. Lol

It's tough but had you NOT gone out tonight you'd be left wondering if tonight was the night. I've done that many times over a season TOO. Lol

Ric, I'll go out as much as I can and if I see deer it's a plu if I don't it sure beats sitting @ home watching TV!!!!!! I have burned myself out @ times but that's been few and far between..... Plus I have the TOO hunt TOO look forward TOO!!!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well went out this morning and had a pretty good one with out taking a shot that is.... Had two doe come through @ 8:00 the biggest one wouldn't offer up a good enough shot and I let them walk.... Was going too get down around 11 and stood up and stretched while looking around and saw a bunch of deer working their way through an oak flat about 50 yards behind me.... On the other side of the property line..... They never offered up any decent shots and made their war back into a thicket..... Spent about a half hour watching them and too see if anything was holding back anthen got down and still hunted my way back too the truck crossing paths with a flock of turkey who never saw me..... I am buying a friggin turkey tag this year and I'm going too blast one of these hens and deep fry her :smiley_coolpeace: Made it back too the ruck with no more sightings, I pulled a couple of cameras and are going too relocate them too another farm that I think I'm going too concentrate more on this year..... Haven't gotten any decent buck sighting and after talking too my buddy I think we need to regroup and switch it up a little.... SO I'm off too hang a couple of cameras before the rain hits and do a little scouting..... Oh I almost forgot there were two hoot owls flying around me for about the first 20 minutes of daylight this morning... Heard them calling too each other in the dark and they they were flying around landing in differant trees and never really got too close too each other but was looking like they were going too square off at one point then they just took off in differant directions.... Strange shit this season so far.....

Morning hunt -2
Evening hunt -2
Doe - 12
Buck - 0
Fox squirrel's -2 lost track after the second hunt lol....
Gray squirrel's - 2
Turkeys -15
Owls within range - 2

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Went out this morning and it was a bust... No sightings of really anything.... Very dead morning, the rain cleared out around 5:15 and the sun was even peaking out once in a while.... Figured they would be moving a little later but that didn't happen.... Oh well out again this afternoon....

Morning hunt -3
Evening hunt -2
Doe - 12
Buck - 0
Fox squirrel's -2 lost track after the second hunt lol....
Gray squirrel's - 2
Turkeys -15
Owls within range - 2

Total time on stand so far this season 18.0 hours.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well made it out this morning, had lots of squirells and chipmunks around me, kept me entertained the whols sit.... Saw a huge doe walking by around 8:00 and thought it was a buck at first just because of its size.... Oh well no shot from the stand I was in, but if I was in the stand I hunted last night I would of had a chip shot lol...

Morning hunt -4
Evening hunt -3
Doe - 13
Buck - 0
Fox squirrel's - too many too count lol.....
Gray squirrel's - 2
Turkeys -15
Owls within range - 2

Total time on stand so far this season 26.0 hours..... Oh well back at it tomorrow morning.....