Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jason's Hunting Attempts...

Jason Short

Wayne County
Well it's pretty late in the year but I figured I would make one of these for the season. I have already done a good bit of hunting but still have a buck tag in my pocket so this thread will mostly be dedicated to my search to fill it. A quick recap of my year so far...I had a great start to my season both in terms of sightings and shot opportunities. I'm a public land hunter so I always feel good about seeing deer. On opening day I shot a doe within an hour of being in the stand after a very sloppy entry. Then for most of October I was seeing deer on almost every sit, but they were all small bucks or does. On October 29th I shot my second doe after she busted me in my favorite setup. Since then I have seen one deer in my last 6 hunts. The pressure gets crazy where I hunt this time of year and I haven't been able to adjust to get back on the deer. So I'll be logging my hunts here for the rest of the year so I can keep track of everything in one thread. Here are my two does I shot, I think I already posted the pictures on here somewhere but what good is a thread without some pics to get it started lol

IMG_20161029_171943768.jpgIMG_20160924_091836767.jpg

Also one of my younger brothers shot a doe last night, here's a crappy pic I took of it on my way out the door this morning.

IMG_20161116_055418822.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Good stuff man. Gotta give you props for doing what you do on public land. Always enjoy hearing about your adventures and looking forward to seeing you with a buck. Good luck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hang with it Jason. We are lucky to have a long season. All that pressure you're dealing with will be gone right after gun season.

Jason Short

Wayne County
Hit up a new section of my most consistent area tonight. I moved to the backside of a small brushy area close to the property line so I could hunt with the west wind we had. I ended up seeing one doe at 4:30, then the neighboring farmer brought a dead cow out with a bobcat and buried it 50 yards from my stand. I had to laugh a little bit, it might have messed up my hunt but it was still kinda entertaining.

Jason Short

Wayne County
Well this thread didn't last very long. Tonight I filled my buck tag less than 100 yards from where I shot my buck last year. He's a little guy but I'm satisfied with him. The last month has been a rough one for deer sightings but a great one for hunter sightings. This was only the second deer I have seen from the stand since the end of October. Anyways here's the story from tonight.

I headed to the stand at about 1:30 to get in early and relax for a while. Didn't see anything until about 3:30 when this guy popped out of the brush about 40 yards in front of me. He moved off to my left and away from me so I tried to grunt him closer but he ignored me. I wasn't even sure I would shoot him if I had the chance but I did want a closer look. He walked off and disappeared into some thick stuff so I sat back down and waited. Nothing happened for the next 30 minutes except for some birds flying around. A little later I looked out into the CRP field behind me and sure enough he was standing 20 yards away in a mowed path. He walked around for a bit then turned around and started walking away from me. By this point I knew he was a small buck and I knew he would look even smaller from the ground. But he had my heart pounding anyway and I decided that's good enough for me. He walked to 30 yards and stopped slightly quartered away. I put the dot right on his heart and shot. He mule kicked and took off with blood spurting everywhere. Ran a small semi circle around my stand and died 30 yards from where I was sitting. I called my dad and him and one of my brothers came out to help drag it. Is it a big buck? Nope. Do I care? Nope lol I'm happy with him

How I found it
IMG_20161127_164605411.jpg

At home
Snapchat-814263063.jpg

Oh, and one for Giles. Notice the van in the background?
IMG_20161127_181749734.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Good stuff man! 3 deer on public land is a HUGE accomplishment. Well done! :smiley_clap:

You should be proud of all those deer and especially the buck.

Now you can spend the rest of deer season picking up chicks in your awesome van haha.