Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Java Joy - The Coffee Thread

Jamie

Ohio
I'm a coffee fiend. I'm also a coffee snob. I use spring water (never tap water) and grind beans fresh with a burr grinder every day. yesterday I woke up to a pool of water on my counter and half of a 14 cup pot of poorly brewed coffee. This is a true fucking emergency situation at 5:30 am on a school day in January at my house. Well, according to Nancy, anyways. There was enough drinkable coffee to get teacher out the door, which solved the biggest problem. I managed to brew another half pot after cleaning up the mess and inspecting the coffee maker. Cuisinart 14 cup programmable drip coffee maker. It was almost exactly 4 years old. after making enough coffee for the day, I went about cleaning it. ran through the self-cleaning cycle with vinegar and water and a ran 1 and 1/2 pots of clean water through before it died. This is probably the best drip coffee maker we've ever had, and it gets used every single day, sometimes twice a day. We've gone through many coffee makers in the last 30 years, too. We got our monies worth out of this one, maybe for the first time ever with a coffee maker. They usually only make it about 2 years. Free next day delivery of a new one from Amazon. will be here today, theoretically. for some reason the exact same coffee maker was about $20 cheaper this time. nice.

next day delivery is awesome, but that didn't help me this morning. on special occasions and when we are without power I make coffee with a French press. the one I have is Walmart quality piece of junk that we've had for 20 years or more (might have been a wedding gift), but it's functional. it makes 32oz at a time. I made three batches this morning. I even got up early so Nancy could have fresh coffee when she woke. French pressed coffee is, without a doubt, the best coffee a person can make. if you do it correctly it is always smooth and robust, but never bitter. if you can't live with some sediment in the bottom of you cup, well, you're probably just a pussy that wears skinny jeans rolled up and hates guns. If I were a man of leisure, I'd press coffee everyday. it's just too much of a hassle if you want more than one or two cups of coffee to bother with it every day.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jamie, you’re one eclectic individual 😂 We have the Keurig which has the coffee pot section too it as well. Single cup, or pot of coffee. The wife does the single, I do the pot. Chuck wagon strength. She’s more of a tea style coffee drinker. I don’t measure, just dump it in until it feels right 😂
Never had any of the French pressed coffee, may have too look into that as it sounds really good....

Jamie

Ohio
coffee press is a very simple device. I've also used them while hunting in the mountains, and we brought one to Australia since they don't really drink coffee there. friggin' tea drinkers just like the Brittish. Aussies drink instant coffee, and think it's wonderful. Taster's Choice, mostly. fuck that brown horse piss.

you can impress the hell out of your friends and family with pressed coffee.

Chass

The Hills
Any coffee maker with a paper filter is crap. Strips all the oils and goodness from the coffee. Were a press only household. Pre ground coffee, only good to hide ones drugs. We were ordering from Boston Stoker for quite awhile, it's an Ohio based roaster. Pretty good but limited selection. We have since moved onto Volcanica coffee, they have an enormous selection. Havent gotta a bag we dont like yet and have tried a lot.

Reactions: 5Cent

rooster85

Lake County
Any coffee maker with a paper filter is crap. Strips all the oils and goodness from the coffee. Were a press only household. Pre ground coffee, only good to hide ones drugs. We were ordering from Boston Stoker for quite awhile, it's an Ohio based roaster. Pretty good but limited selection. We have since moved onto Volcanica coffee, they have an enormous selection. Havent gotta a bag we dont like yet and have tried a lot.

Is hiding drugs in ground coffee socially unacceptable? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
coffee press is a very simple device. I've also used them while hunting in the mountains, and we brought one to Australia since they don't really drink coffee there. friggin' tea drinkers just like the Brittish. Aussies drink instant coffee, and think it's wonderful. Taster's Choice, mostly. fuck that brown horse piss.

you can impress the hell out of your friends and family with pressed coffee.
We use a Keurig. I must have a bad palate, as I like coffee from just about any kinda coffee maker...I even like the freeze dried stuff! Is there something wrong with me?😂🙈

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I drink probably 8-10 cups a day. That and water is all I drink in the office. The first cup in the morning at home is from a standard drip coffeemaker and I add cream and sugar. The rest of the day it's straight black. I have a French press on my desk at work and I'll usually make a decanter of 100% Kona when I get in. The rest of the day is usually shitty office Keurig coffee.

I finally got rid of the last of the pumpkin spice bullshit at the office. Makes the next 5 cups of coffee brewed after it taste like shit.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
We use a Keurig. I must have a bad palate, as I like coffee from just about any kinda coffee maker...I even like the freeze dried stuff! Is there something wrong with me?😂🙈
Same here, but I definitely draw the line on instant coffees and such.

I drink it black out of a Keurig everyday, anywhere from 3-5 large cups from 5-10:30am. I have a few coworkers who have a press on their desk. I view it as another MF'n thing to cost me $ and another hole that I can avoid by just saying "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". I do look forward to trying it though.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I drink 10-12 cups everyday. I usually drink the last cup out of my thermos on the way home from work. I completely understand the 911 of coffee. I'll reuse the old grounds from the night before just to get me a cup to a gas station if I run out and forgot to get more. Coffee snob I am not. I can't tell good from bad. I buy cheapest stuff I can get in a metal can so I can use the can. I have the best coffee beans my uncle has found in New York City at the moment it's still tastes like coffee to me. So I couldn't tell u the difference in a good or shitty cup as long as it's strong with no additives. I've had good luck with coffee makers I seem to get new ones as gifts even though they don't need replaced...what the fuck is French press? ha

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I’ve had a French press for years but probably only use it once a year.
At home I’ll grind every so often. Use the Bunn or a Keurag. Bought the after market basket so I can use my beans when I choose.
When I want to be snotty, I break out the espresso machine.

But at work, all I want is for the cheap drip brewer to go off and have a pot ready to go when I walk out of the bedroom 15 minutes before my
12 hour tower. Its the end of the world when
I forget to set I t up the night before and set the timer...

Nothing
Worse than weak coffee.

Reactions: 5Cent and Jamie

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I drink 30 Oz of Folgers classic roast/tap water with International Delight sweet cream every day. I sip on it throughout the morning out of my Ozark Trail tumbler and it’s gone by noon. My concoction tastes pretty good👍🏻

Reactions: 5Cent and Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with @Bowkills in my lack of sophisticated pallet. I've had "bad" coffee. I still drink it. I've occasionally had a cup where I'm like "damn! That was good!" 95% of the coffee I drink is all about the same. Not making fun of this topic. I simply think my taste buds aren't very refined.