Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joel and Abby's 2018-19 deer season

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
This year I'm focusing on getting my daughter her first deer first and foremost.

She's hunted with me three years now and has only had one opportunity to shoot one and passed the crossbow to me instead. That was 2 seasons ago. We've rarely even seen a deer together since then. I did try but have to admit I got a little selfish and didn't take her out as much as I should have.

A couple months ago, my Dad and I bought a house with 7.5 acres of woods and some good deer sign all over. The house is a fixer upper I've been working on when I have time and it'll be probably late November before we move in.

We finally got serious about deer this weekend. We bought a new blind, a couple new chairs and some corn and we set it up together yesterday.

This year will be better, I hope. The blind is easy to get to, the window is low enough she can shoot the crossbow without straining to get it high enough and she's still into it and ready to give it 100%. I just have to do my part getting her out there and hopefully the deer cooperate.

Here's the new set up on the new land. The blind sits at the top of a hill looking down into a natural funnel and some corn is scattered all around for good luck lol.

We will be out atleast one day later this week with the cooler temps coming through.

I need to trim a nice lane, brush the blind in a bit and probably get more corn and add a camera but I feel good about this set up.

Here's a picture of the blind from the trail we approach it at, the view from the blind and then one from the corn looking up the hill at the blind.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 389

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
We’re going hunting Friday evening. I stopped by her spot yesterday and threw out a couple dozen apples and another 100 lbs of corn. I think the deer finally found the corn because the last 100 lbs was pretty much gone and all the leaves in the area I spread it are all gone, nothing but dirt there. Need to stick a camera there!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Well that seemed to work pretty good!

I set that spot up on the 8th and my little girl got her deer on the 18th.

I put out 100 lbs of corn and the blind and we tried hunting there on the 12th- skunked but no big surprise there. I went back on the 16th and threw out some apples, scattered 50 lbs of corn and dumped 50 pounds of corn at the base of a tree 20 yards in front of the blind.

We got settled in last night right around 5:00pm. We whispered a little about the weather and the missing apples and then had some snacks and waited, Abby played on her iPad.

The woods seemed dead and I didn’t even see a squirrel the whole time. With about 30 minutes left of shooting light, I told her to put the ipad away and set the crossbow up on a monopod to reduce movement in case something did come in.

We sat there in silence just watching the woods for another 10 minutes. Nothing.

Finally I heard footsteps in the dry leaves. Thought it was probably a squirrel but told her don’t move and get ready, I think Ihear one.

The leaves started to crunch more and I could tell it was several big things walking towards out of sight to our right.

I said ok they’re coming, get ready. I reminded her to keep her finger off the trigger and I reached over and flipped the safety off.

A couple seconds later her doe came into view and we could see other deer through the brush following behind. Her doe walked straight to the corn pile and started eating. Perfect broadside and never glanced at the blind.

She had the front leg towards us back covering her vitals so I whispered wait. I asked if she could see the deer through the scope good and she immediately nodded yes. Right about then the doe stretched that leg forward and I said “go ahead when you’re ready, remember line it up good take your time and just squeeze the trigger.

We were both breathing heavy and my heart rate was crazy. After a few seconds she squeezed the trigger, the doe did a big kick and crashed right through the thick stuff in front of her and took off. I could hear her crash a few seconds later and looked over at my daughter. She had her head down crying softly.

I squeezed her hand and said you did it! Perfect shot!

We quietly discussed the feeling she was having and I explained that it was normal. The other deer were still hanging around wondering wtf just happened.

She got a little sad when she saw the deer again so we just sat there together and said thank you to the deer, said a little prayer and then she started to get excited and proud, asking if we can make some jerky.

We went back to the truck to warm up and charge my phone which was totally dead. In all the excitement I leaned my crossbow against my truck by the back tire and started texting my wife, then rick and chad. We got warm, I put the truck in gear and ran my crossbow over. Oops.

That’s pretty much it. Hard to put all the excitement and emotions into words but she got her first deer and I couldn’t be more proud of the person she’s becoming.

She’s already asking to get back out and shoot a buck. Poor kid is hooked for life.
173B2CB1-4C9C-4EB2-A808-CCE0EA3814C5.jpeg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
For sure you both will always remember this one! I'd probably keep that scope if possible for a little keep-sake. That's not a fugg-up~~That's a memory!

Yeah it’s definitely part of the story and memory! I may drive up there but not tomorrow, I’m going the complete opposite direction and I’ll be tied up most of the day. If I mail it in, I may stick a picture of her with the deer and a note about what happened and ask if I can keep the scope.

Tenpoint is super cool to deal with. You led me to try one a few years back (4 now?) whenever you came and helped me with that junky Barnett. Always appreciated the help that day and that Tenpoint was probably my best purchase ever. Thank you! Thanks for starting the thread last night too!

Reactions: finelyshedded