Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kaisers trapping thread

Kaiser878

ohio
So I have never really messed with trapping a whole lot...but I decided to give it a whirl on some of the yotes in my area after seeing some of you fellas pictures...

I put out some hole sets and some flat sets the other day and just put some snares out today. THis morning I went to check my sets and to my surprise I was successful in one of my flat sets....
This is what I walked up to!!!!!!

As you can imagine I wasnt thrilled, instantly the guilt set in.. I unclamped his foot from the 1.5 montgomery coil spring and started rackign my brain. I am a sucker for labs, especially young cute ones this sit and fetch when I throw something..haha

Long story short I felt it was my duty to find the owner and return the dog....Mind you the land I was trapping is in the middle of nowhere. Well as of 630 this evening, I found his owner and returned him to his home...TO my surprise his foot was no longer swollen and he wasnt limping on it......

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow, dude.... Ya hate to see that, but what can you do? You did a good thing by finding the owner. +1 to the karma bank. lol Good luck on those 'yotes!... I've been wanting to buy some snares myself but I just can't get around to it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yep sucks but you can sweat it man, it would be different if it was 50 yards from a house or something, but like Phil said, they supposed to be chained up anyone!

Best of luck with the traps and keep us posted!

Kaiser878

ohio
Dang Zach. Did the owner say how long he had been gone?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

From the time he took off till he was in the owners hands it was about 30 hours....It was a consideration of me and a buddies to keep him, atleast till we found the owner.....he was a cute pup. The owner said he was just over a eyar old and was his duck dog...which explains his retrieving he was donig for me!

Kaiser878

ohio
Look on the bright side he wasn't in a snare

Ya no shit......HE wouldnt have faired so well had it been a snare......Its the only thing that bothers me about trapping...I could care less about catching a cat or something, but I dont like the thoguht of catching dogs...Not to mention trying to get them out..I was lucky this time that this dog was nice, but who knows what the next one will be like?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ya no shit......HE wouldnt have faired so well had it been a snare......Its the only thing that bothers me about trapping...I could care less about catching a cat or something, but I dont like the thoguht of catching dogs...Not to mention trying to get them out..I was lucky this time that this dog was nice, but who knows what the next one will be like?

As you saw though, they'll be fine after released. another good thing to do is maybe contact the surrounding landowners and let them know you'll be trapping coyotes and they may want to keep their dogs close to home for a while.

There are a couple methods you can use to release unfriendly dogs from a trap. A catch pole is the best and safest solution. But in a pinch you can use you jacket. Just unzip it and hold it up to where the dogs had goes in the sleeve and place the coat over him. This will likely give you enough time to step on the trap and release him. I caught a couple dogs in traps growing up. I never had one act mean or aggressive. Even if they are I think the trap takes the fight out of them and then reality sets in when they see you that you're a human and can help them.

Diablo54

Outside

Dogs typically won't hurt themselves in snares. Maybe you should invest in a catch pole.

The first year I tried trapping I caught the neighbor's cat and another neighbor's dog. Kinda felt bad for a little while but then again we never had them back in our yard again after that. Both were in footholds and neither were injured in any way. Like some of the others said, the domesticated animal will usually just lay down and wait. It's the wild coyote or fox that freak out and go nuts.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

I'm the same way man. I worry about catching things I don't want to catch, which includes fox for me. Diablo gave me some good advice on how to release them using piece of plywood with a V cut in the bottom. I made one that is 3' x 3' with a couple handles on it so I can hold it while I work on opening the trap. Since I don't want to kill fox, it is bound to come in handy...

On a side note, are those Irish Setters you are wearing? If so, have they broken/torn in the heel area? I have the same pair from the looks of it and mine didn't last a year before tearing...

Kaiser878

ohio
I'm the same way man. I worry about catching things I don't want to catch, which includes fox for me. Diablo gave me some good advice on how to release them using piece of plywood with a V cut in the bottom. I made one that is 3' x 3' with a couple handles on it so I can hold it while I work on opening the trap. Since I don't want to kill fox, it is bound to come in handy...

On a side note, are those Irish Setters you are wearing? If so, have they broken/torn in the heel area? I have the same pair from the looks of it and mine didn't last a year before tearing...

Yes they are IS. and they have started to separate at the sole where it meets the boot. Im not impressed with them. For the last 14 years I have worn nothing but green lacross burleys with no insulation, in all temps...I should have never strayed away from them. THey are the best boots ever made IMO..Ill have a new set before deer season starts back up. THe irish setter rubber boots are not impressing me at all. Being tied in with the shop in town I have seen a lot of pairs come back with the same problem...and I mean a lot of pairs

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes they are IS. and they have started to separate at the sole where it meets the boot. Im not impressed with them. For the last 14 years I have worn nothing but green lacross burleys with no insulation, in all temps...I should have never strayed away from them. THey are the best boots ever made IMO..Ill have a new set before deer season starts back up. THe irish setter rubber boots are not impressing me at all. Being tied in with the shop in town I have seen a lot of pairs come back with the same problem...and I mean a lot of pairs

Mine have torn at the top of the insulation from ankle bone to ankle bone and did so in less than a year. I know I'm hard on boots, but that is damned ridiculous. When I called their Customer Service, they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways and there was no guarantee they would replace them. I thought they were comfortable as hell, but didn't hold up for shit...

Good luck with the trapping. I'm not having much luck myself. We need some cold weather!!!