Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kid squirrel gun for Christmas......?

Bowkills

Nw oh
I'm thinking of getting a cricket or a air rifle. I haven't heard anything bad about the cricket. Looking for my younger kids to get started off the bench......any others to look into?

Reactions: 5Cent

Floki

Save yourself the money! Buy a hooker! 😂 lol Nah um.. It’s hard for a kid to find and fit in any gun in my experience. Treat them them to a 22. Save the money. Once they “ finally” do fit a gun they fit most. By then you will have wore yourself out trying to cater to them. At that time you can treat them to a gun they will use for life. Just my two cents.

Practice with the 22. Most kids are scared of the loud sound over the kick. Some both. 👍

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Floki

I did buy my kid a 760 pump master . Of course tho the butt of gun was to long. Easy to cut it down save a few bucks and achieve the same thing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One of the earliest guns I bought for my son was a Cricket. I added the little scope to it as well. It shoots pretty well. I even carry it occasionally when chasing squirrels behind Jamie’s dogs. Light, easy to use and shoots well enough to bust a squirrel head... and my kid still plinks with it sometimes too. :)

Chass

The Hills
I got a ruger 10-22 when I was about 6. I still have it and probably shoot it the most. Might of been a tad big at that age but I was mostly on a bench shooting at that age so I don't recall it being anything other than a blast. Who knows how many rounds has been through it, hardly been cleaned and still will shoot and cycle nearly perfect for a .22
Cricket will do ya fine, but for how many years until it just collects dust. .22s are fairly small as is, get a full size itll last a lifetime and can be passed down to you grandkids.

Strizzi

how old? I’d suggest something he can grow with and shoot for years. I was taught on a single shot bolt action but my first gun was a ruger 10/22 that I still have 25 years later and still love to plink around with.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm also a fan of the 10/22. Its customizable to the nth degree from adjustable stocks to dropping as much money into it as you might want. It also gives a good project for fixing up different ways as your kid's theory on the perfect gun is.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I have 10,8,6, yr olds. I'm going cricket I think and will eventually get them individual .22 or 410s as their 1st guns later......this will be a family weapon taking turns shooting at squirrels. We have a daisy and pump master but shooting at a squirrel is far more appealing than paper. I'd like a 10/22 but feel the 8 and 6 yr old would struggle......

Bowkills

Nw oh
I have 10,8,6, yr olds. I'm going cricket I think and will eventually get them individual .22 or 410s as their 1st guns later......this will be a family weapon taking turns shooting at squirrels. We have a daisy and pump master but shooting at a squirrel is far more appealing than paper. I'd like a 10/22 but feel the 8 and 6 yr old would struggle......
Ill take a look at Rossi as well.....

Jamie

Ohio
I have two CZ scouts(bolt action). one belongs to my wife since she has midget arms, the other is a spare I can loan to kids that squirrel hunt with me that don't have a gun. bought them both used on gunbroker. both are tack drivers. bolt gun seems like a better choice for beginners to me, since they cannot just dump 10 rounds at a time. the boy in the picture is holding my loaner. he shot it very well that day. :)

https://www.theohiooutdoors.com/threads/real-men-hunting-the-polar-vortex.15058/

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Floki

One thing I will say about the Rossi 4/10 -22

Kids love the 22part.. Yet the 4/10 carries one heck of a boot to it for a kid. So much so I’ve saw a few kids say heck no after one time of shooting it. Honestly I couldn’t blame them.

Reactions: lung buster

Bowkills

Nw oh
I have two CZ scouts(bolt action). one belongs to my wife since she has midget arms, the other is a spare I can loan to kids that squirrel hunt with me that don't have a gun. bought them both used on gunbroker. both are tack drivers. bolt gun seems like a better choice for beginners to me, since they cannot just dump 10 rounds at a time. the boy in the picture is holding my loaner. he shot it very well that day. :)

https://www.theohiooutdoors.com/threads/real-men-hunting-the-polar-vortex.15058/
That's a damn nice looking gun. I don't know if Mrs clause I'll let me put that much cash into one although it's for a great cause.....

Bowkills

Nw oh

Kids love the 22part.. Yet the 4/10 carries one heck of a boot to it for a kid. So much so I’ve saw a few kids say heck no after one time of shooting it. Honestly I couldn’t blame them.
My older is fine with the kick of a .44 mag I was greatly concerned with. It will be awhile for the younger two to get belted. They'll be strictly firing.22s for some time. Mostly working on form and getting used to firing. I know at 11 or 12 I was gun shy after shooting my 410 the first year....

lung buster

hocking county

I'll second this. I bought drew the rossi combo when he was 6. Added a limbsaver recoil pad. 2-1/2" low brass kicked like a mule....he did use the .22 barrel to kill several of his 1st squirrels.