Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Killing Yotes a bad thing??? opinions??

saddlepants

central Ohio
This made me Curious!?

"Biologists have determined that recreational predator calling and the shoot-on-sight approach taken by hunters who believe they’re doing something good for deer have, in fact, no lasting impact at all. Sometimes it can even have the opposite effect, since killing coyotes actually works to stimulate coyote reproduction.

This explains in part why coyotes have been able to thrive and expand their range despite more than a century’s worth of calculated human effort to exterminate them. "

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hippie biologists. It has. I effect because we can't kill enough of them. Legalize poisoning and lets see how true their theory holds.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
True, we can't kill enough of them to make much of a difference. But reproductive plasticity does exist... and this isn't the first I've heard of it in coyotes. It's hard to believe that we'd be better off leaving them alone, letting them die naturally... but as territorial as they are, maybe unhunted populations would level off. Sounds crazy, but who knows. Kill a few 'yotes from a pack, and wham, the alpha female spits out more pups than she would if you had never been involved.... Hard to reduce a population when that happens. Poison would be pretty effective I bet. :smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am going to hunt them more voraciously than ever this year. I foresee more and more people getting into predator hunting. I have heard of more getting into it in the last couple years in my area. i am pretty dang new to it myself, but lots of people are taking it up. I hope we can make a good dent on them. They need to be kept in check.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I am going to hunt them more voraciously than ever this year. I foresee more and more people getting into predator hunting. I have heard of more getting into it in the last couple years in my area. i am pretty dang new to it myself, but lots of people are taking it up. I hope we can make a good dent on them. They need to be kept in check.

I will be doing this myself come Saturday morning lol. SHOOT everyone of them SOB's

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
If we almost exterminated the wolves by hunting them down back in the day; then you must believe we can do the same with the coyotes. Coyotes, for the most part are considered less of a threat than the wolves, but none the less they are an animal that can be hunted TOO extinction if such a campaign were to take place.

dante322 said:
dont care, still gonna kill em.
I'm with you too, brother!

I've stepped up to a larger caliber rifle, so as not to get any "runners".
Males, females, pups...no matter, as they'll all get some lead from me. :smiley_boos: The only good coyote is a dead coyote!

I'll show them the same mercy that they show the fawns! :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
We need a "how to" trapping thread. Or maybe a poisoning thread. ;)

Will Prestone work?

The only problem with poison is the non-target animals that get caught in the crossfire. The nieghbors dog, landowners animals or even in areas like around my neck of the woods with eagles. Not a good idea to try it lol. Lead poisoning is the only way to go around here. My caller will be in tomorrow via Fedex and as soon as I get home from this God forsaken hotel on Friday some stuff is going to die :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am going to work on finding the den this spring so I can kill all the pups. If I do find them in there, we're gonna have a bonfire!!!