Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lack of people willing to work

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
These are crazy times, the likes of which I have never seen before. I took my wife’s jeep to have it serviced and the service writer said, you can wait but I don’t know when that lube guy is coming in, could be 9:00 could be 10:00. I was like what? And they can’t fire them becuase they can’t replace them.

Today the local Walgreens had to open an hour late because the fill pharmacist decided to call out. They were filling for the regular one that was on vacation.

crazy times we live in

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buddy and his wife went too the bike swap meet in Salisbury NC yesterday, they stopped at the Waffle House for breakfast. After they walked in the manager locked the door and put the closed sign up. Second shift crew didn’t show up. The crew there had been there since the night before. Whole crew called off.
They ordered their food, manager just about doubled their order of food just to get rid of it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

We have two Wendys here in town and they recently closed one due to staffing issues to keep the other open. Many fast food places have the dining room closed due to staffing. My questions are where did these people go, what are they doing, who's paying their bills? They can't just disappear and I know Amazon and Wal-mart didn't suck up that many people. Are they just refusing to work and living at home with their parents?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We've had a mass exodus of retirement-aged folks and parents of school-aged kids since COVID began. A lot of service workers have shuffled into jobs left by the older folks and parents. Those two factors are commonly believed to be the driving force behind the labor force participation rate being so low.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We've had a mass exodus of retirement-aged folks and parents of school-aged kids since COVID began. A lot of service workers have shuffled into jobs left by the older folks and parents. Those two factors are commonly believed to be the driving force behind the labor force participation rate being so low.

That makes sense. I read that applications for LLCs skyrocketed under covid. I think there might be a bunch of parents who left the corporate workforce after being forced to homeschool their kids with a public education. Those people probably started businesses or realized their income wasn't really needed and decided to not go back to their corporate gig. But they couldn't have all been backfilled by the same idiots who could never put cheese on the middle of a burger, or read a screen and put stuff in a bag.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ohio has record LLCs filings in 2020, only to have the record beaten again last year. To your point, that is also a contributing factor as those types of jobs are not reflected in most common labor statistics.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
We have two Wendys here in town and they recently closed one due to staffing issues to keep the other open. Many fast food places have the dining room closed due to staffing. My questions are where did these people go, what are they doing, who's paying their bills? They can't just disappear and I know Amazon and Wal-mart didn't suck up that many people. Are they just refusing to work and living at home with their parents?
Covid restrictions plus government handouts encouraged many older workers to retire sooner than they planned. School closures combined with tax credits for kids encouraged at least 1 parent to quit work and stay home. Now higher vehicle, fuel and day care costs are discouraging that stay at home parent from going back to work. Many people who were working in low paid service jobs found better jobs in other sectors.

If inflation keeps going (and there's little reason to think it won't) Many people will be forced back to work or to take second jobs.

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I’ve also noticed a strange trend. I worked at Wendy’s in high school and every one of the employees were high school aged or early 20s. Now you won’t see anyone under 20 working there…many in their 40s! And they’re bitching for livable wages. A burger flipper is supposed to afford rent and a car??? WTF

Reactions: Hedgelj

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Many of those older workers are from "at risk" populations who have no other avenues for employment. Anyone with a criminal or drug abuse record is severely limited by the options made available to them, which is why there's a big push for "Second Chance" programs that help those folks (the ones that want and can be helped) find more suitable employment.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hell, a few months back i saw a school district accepting applications for substitutes. High school diploma was their educational requirement. :oops:
Subs don't teach anymore. They're just there to babysit kids until the teacher comes back. A lot of teaching is done at home by parents even when the teachers are there, so it's not like it disrupts things all that much.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’ve also noticed a strange trend. I worked at Wendy’s in high school and every one of the employees were high school aged or early 20s. Now you won’t see anyone under 20 working there…many in their 40s! And they’re bitching for livable wages. A burger flipper is supposed to afford rent and a car??? WTF

And whats crazy is they're complacent in that position. They don't feel they should achieve a higher position, shift leader, manager, general manager, regional. Nope, they just demand a higher wage for the same position. Which I understand cost of living increases to keep pace but the wage is what the market will bear. They don't want to do it for $10 an hour but they've traditionally had a line out the door for people who would. Time has changed however, now they're struggling to get applicants

Reactions: Smawgunner2

Bigcountry40

Hell, a few months back i saw a school district accepting applications for substitutes. High school diploma was their educational requirement. :oops:
Not every teacher was willing to contine to do their job and almost die from it like myself. I’m sure the some parents would of sent flowers and said send nice things to my wife and three children about me at the funeral. A week later my job would of been posted on Ohio means jobs.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not every teacher was willing to contine to do their job and almost die from it like myself. I’m sure the some parents would of sent flowers and said send nice things to my wife and three children about me at the funeral. A week later my job would of been posted on Ohio means jobs.
Jon, we’d of stayed consistent and made fun of you at your calling hours/memorial service…. 😂

Bigcountry40

Subs don't teach anymore. They're just there to babysit kids until the teacher comes back. A lot of teaching is done at home by parents even when the teachers are there, so it's not like it disrupts things all that much.
I know u support teachers Jesse and you have a sister that is one, and I know there are some really shitty teachers out there. But the biggest problem currently with elementary kids is peice of shit parents didn’t make their children do anything for two years and now teachers are overwhelmed, trying to play catch up for the absence of learning/structure in over half their students, so intelligent students like ur daughters are now pushed to the side, while the teacher has to teach 10 year olds how to spell “the”. Okay I’m done defending my profession on this thread.

Last edited: