Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Last night in Japan

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Yelp, tonight is it. Tomorrow morning we'll be on the freedom bird and headed for the states FOR GOOD!

2007-08 was spent in Iraq.

2008-2010 was spent in Italy.

2010-2012 was spent in Japan.

In 2005 I had a feeling that I wouldn't be deer hunting for a long time. I get these feelings and someday over a campfire I'll tell you some stories about my feelings and occasional visions that'll freak the hell outta ya. Well the good lord wasn't kidding and after being deployed for five years we are finally coming home.

Jeremiah 29:11-14
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

11 For I know the plans I have for you” —this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“and I will restore your fortunes[a] and gather you from all the nations and places where I banished you”—this is the Lord’s declaration. “I will restore you to the place I deported you from.”

Today I left my department for the last time. I'm not an emotional guy, but for a brief moment my bottom lip quivered. Not because I'm going to miss the hard working Marines who I've lead for the past 24 months and not because I'm going to miss my command or Japan, but because the 1,000 pound weight that has been an unforgiving burden was finally removed from my pack.

Don't get me wrong, the adventures my family have been fortunate to experience will always bring back fond memories, but at the end of the day there is no place like home and it's time for the Baughn's to finally come home to roost.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That's great Chuck! As long as I've been posting on these boards you and your family have been overseas. Thank you so much for your service!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's awesome man. Welcome home.. Now get out there and smoke a big one, you're due.. Or just wack a Button for old times sake.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's been a hell of a ride so far hasn't it???? Just think it'll all be over in a year or two and then a new chapter starts all over for you and the family......

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
GOD BLESS AMERICA

After 30+ hours we are sitting in Chicago waiting for our flight to Cincinnati. We had planned on going to Columbus, but my mothers house has no power and they don't expect it to be fixed until the 8th. So,,,, Because of that we changed our flight and we'll stay at my brothers in Dayton. If mom doesn't bring our dog down today we'll go up and get him tomorrow.

I gotta tell ya it's a sweet feeling knowing that this time we're home for good.

Kaiser878

ohio
TF.......Thanks for all you have done for our country...... Nothing Me or any of us can do could be enoguh to repay you for your duties... Although....I do wanna give you an invite to the Kaiser Ranch this winter for a bow hunt! I figure its the least I can do for such an admirable individual!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
welcome home! thanks for the incredible sacrifices you and your family have made so the rest of us can enjoy the freedoms we have in this country.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Three words. Thank you Sir. And, to your family of course. Welcome home buddy!!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
TF.......Thanks for all you have done for our country...... Nothing Me or any of us can do could be enoguh to repay you for your duties... Although....I do wanna give you an invite to the Kaiser Ranch this winter for a bow hunt! I figure its the least I can do for such an admirable individual!

Thanks! I take it you have some button bucks that need thinning?:smiley_crocodile:

Man this is so weird..... I've been gone for so long that I feel like a guest in my own country. Driving on the right hand side of the road, being able to read signs and understand the locals (at least the educated ones), and the conveniences American's so enjoy has been a bit overwhelming. We're staying with my brother who lives near Dayton. Mom's power is out and won't be back on for a week. I'm headed up today to get our dog and my bow. Deer season it's far away and I need to start practicing. :smiley_clap:

BTW you know what the best part about being back is? Is knowing that we aren't going back in 2-3 weeks and that we'll be here for good.

Last edited: