Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lawn Equipment suggestions

P8riot

Carbon, In
I have been out of the grass cutting game for 15 years...what's good?! It looks like I will have around 3-4 acres to finish cut and 4 acres to rough cut.

I have already determined Im getting a Honda Foreman 4x4 with the foot shift and power steering.

For lawn mower I am looking at the Swisher 66" Finish Cut tow behind. I figure why guy an ATV AND a riding lawn mower, so that makes sense to use the ATV to cut the grass. I think I will need a rough cut too that Swisher makes.

Weed wacker...Stihl 131R or the Husqvarna 525lst? Both look pretty nice and getting a tow behind mower, i will have areas that will be missed so I will need a good one! I will need a metal head to clear some thick stuff too.

Chainsaw...probably will want an 18" for general purpose.

Blower...don't say my wife! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Stick with Stihl. I cheated on the original orange with some new orange and regret buying Husky. Just bought a Stihl blower to go with my other tools and it's been great. Can't advise on much else unless you skip the mower and go for a subcompact tractor with a deck. In that case, stay orange on that too!

P8riot

Carbon, In
I'm trying to keep the amount of stuff to break/maintain to a minimun thatd why I didnt want a riding mower. The property did have a John Deerr 4055 with under 100 hours and no attachments there she wanted to sell but she is kind of crazy and I didnt want to muddy the water of the sale with the tractor. And honestly it was too big for the property and attachments are crazy expensive. It was still there on 9/11 during the appraisal and it was written in the contract she can leave anything she wants. So just maybe it will be a surprise for me at closing 😍

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quad is good. For a small area of rough cut, the quad and Swisher would work. Don't let it get too tall though. I think you will end up hating a tow behind finish mower unless it is wide open. Turning it with the quad will get old fast. In your situation, I think Jesse is onto something. Subcompact tractor with belly mower and 4' bush hog would fit the bill. A loader would be used a lot more than you think.

P8riot

Carbon, In
genMbmob.21877728_1_0.jpg

It is "fairly" open with long straight runs

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
D602A14F-324F-4356-90DA-4EF764A20353.jpeg
4C47DAB0-1042-4EB2-A894-84591F4A01B1.jpeg
66745EFA-190E-49F7-9C58-92674CE3A742.jpeg
B45F7FAA-5A71-40C5-BE6A-2606DE8334C3.jpeg
C722B157-68D8-4278-834C-996F77DF1A05.jpeg

I second stihl…these are the models I have. I have a bigger chainsaw for large trees and a smaller on (ms-180) which gets used the most. I also highly recommend the premix gas…ever since I switched to this, all of my stuff will start on the second or third pull…even after sitting all winter. I also second the suggestion with a subcompact tractor with a deck…looks like you’ve got alot of mowing in your future.

Isaacorps

Columbus
View attachment 161732View attachment 161733View attachment 161734View attachment 161735View attachment 161736
I second stihl…these are the models I have. I have a bigger chainsaw for large trees and a smaller on (ms-180) which gets used the most. I also highly recommend the premix gas…ever since I switched to this, all of my stuff will start on the second or third pull…even after sitting all winter. I also second the suggestion with a subcompact tractor with a deck…looks like you’ve got alot of mowing in your future.
This. Either the premix or mix your own with zero ethanol 90 octane. The zero ethanol can be hard to find at some gas stations but all of the Sheetz around us have it. It’s much cheaper than the premix if you have access to it. Ethanol is hell on those 2 cycle engines

I mowed 3+ acres for quite a few years with a Befco 5 foot tow behind finish mower with my quad. The only draw backs were getting close to things (looks like you're pretty clear) and mine is heavy and rutted the yard when mowing when the ground was soft as it has solid versus pneumatic tires. I bought a 54" rider and like it much better than the tow option.

Jamie

Ohio
If you are buying the whole gamut of lawn equipment, I would urge you to consider going with battery power instead of two stroke. Yes, another Stihl fanboy here. I have Stihl trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer and pole saw. Soon I will have a battery powered chainsaw to compliment my 20 year old Farm Boss. These tools are all the commercial grade, and have all the power, none of the noise or hassle with buying, mixing, and pouring gasoline. I have two batteries, but have never drained one with a full charge before completing the job. Best money I ever spent on tools.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
If you are buying the whole gamut of lawn equipment, I would urge you to consider going with battery power instead of two stroke. Yes, another Stihl fanboy here. I have Stihl trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer and pole saw. Soon I will have a battery powered chainsaw to compliment my 20 year old Farm Boss. These tools are all the commercial grade, and have all the power, none of the noise or hassle with buying, mixing, and pouring gasoline. I have two batteries, but have never drained one with a full charge before completing the job. Best money I ever spent on tools.
Agreed I have all dewalt, blower, chainsaw, string trimmer, pole saw, only use gas chainsaw for large quantities of wood cutting.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I did see the battery option and contemplated them. Im more of an old school analog over digital type, but I do see the merit. I do know in leaf blowers the corded electric ones are more powerful than gas, but you lose convenience.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don’t fugg around with the quad and pull behind mower… you’ll get sick of it sooner than you think. Buy once, cry once and spend the money on a tractor. The BX series tractors are very nice and would fit your needs well. Kubota is offering 0% financing for 48-60 months right now. Just saying. Easy for me to spend your money. 😅

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Don’t fugg around with the quad and pull behind mower… you’ll get sick of it sooner than you think. Buy once, cry once and spend the money on a tractor. The BX series tractors are very nice and would fit your needs well. Kubota is offering 0% financing for 48-60 months right now. Just saying. Easy for me to spend your money. 😅
This^^^….totally agree with the buy once, cry once statement….and you’ll have it for the rest of your life.