Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leaning/Tangled trees

P8riot

Carbon, In
I think I'm going to bust out the chainsaw and get to work on these 🤪🤪

Nope...I will let nature take care of that!!

20230130_170156.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’d drop trees strategically too funnel deer too where you want….. Find the travel routes and adjust accordingly…..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Get a pole saw and whittle away on it. That’s not that bad of a mess.
My guess is there ain’t no pole saw gonna reach up into the top of that sucker.

Cutting on those trees is some scary stuff. That tree holding up the leaner… you start going through it and it goes off like a bomb, with all that weight and tension pressing against it. I do not enjoy those types of trees.

Bigcountry40

My guess is there ain’t no pole saw gonna reach up into the top of that sucker.

Cutting on those trees is some scary stuff. That tree holding up the leaner… you start going through it and it goes off like a bomb, with all that weight and tension pressing against it. I do not enjoy those types of trees.
I about killed myself back at the Castalia trout club cutting dead ash in a similar situation. Good lord didn’t want me that day !

P8riot

Carbon, In
You guys are gonna get this guy hurt. You asked because you felt it was dangerous. Leave it alone. It'll work itself out over time.
Lmao. I won't let them talk me into it. I know my limitations and I have a very healthy respect for leaning/tangled trees! I'm a complete tree rookie, I'm not ready for the big leagues yet.

Reactions: giles

P8riot

Carbon, In
Are they in a place that they are a concern? Near a trail or something?? Maybe put 20 lbs of Tannerite at the base of one of the trees and let-er rip.
Now theres an idea i can get behind! No they are in a deep valley where I shant be traversing. I just thought it was crazy they ended up like that and then thought, what if I had to fell them...

Reactions: Big_Holla

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Are they in a place that they are a concern? Near a trail or something?? Maybe put 20 lbs of Tannerite at the base of one of the trees and let-er rip.
Your idea seems much simpler... I was thinking grab a welder some 6 or 8" steel pipe, wick , powder , older chainsaw chains , Busch lattes , You get the idea.

Reactions: Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That tree is a puzzle, in my mind.
Is it uprooted or broke off?
Tree that is the kick stand you don’t mess with
Tree too the right of the kick stand, is it involved in any of this or just sits by it?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looks like an easy one looking at the pic... Appears that longer tree is nestled in the trunk of tree with broken off top... Therefore has no where to go... Both trees have all the weight leaning one way... So first clean all debris in general area so you have an escape route... Then cut standing tree that is broken off... Will only fall one way with that weight on it... ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE PLANNED...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like an easy one looking at the pic... Appears that longer tree is nestled in the trunk of tree with broken off top... Therefore has no where to go... Both trees have all the weight leaning one way... So first clean all debris in general area so you have an escape route... Then cut standing tree that is broken off... Will only fall one way with that weight on it... ALWAYS HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE PLANNED...
You’re mostly right. Yes, it’s gonna all fall one way. But the weight of that leaning tree is significant. You cut into that kickstand tree and she’s gonna pop… It will be unpredictable and dangerous. I guarantee that. Can it be done? Absolutely. Will your butthole be puckered? It damn well better be.

Reactions: Hedgelj and Fletch

P8riot

Carbon, In
I was thinking IF I were to try it. Take small pieces at the bottom of the leaning tree, like you would any tangled tree, to try to get it in a more vertical position. It would most likely roll out of the kickstand tree at some point and continue the path of its fall. Any undercut on that leaning tree is going to drop that base like a ton of bricks, and probably unpredictably too.

I'll toss a rope around the leaning tree and pull like hell with my truck!

Reactions: "J"

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking IF I were to try it. Take small pieces at the bottom of the leaning tree, like you would any tangled tree, to try to get it in a more vertical position. It would most likely roll out of the kickstand tree at some point and continue the path of its fall.
That’s probably a good approach. It will definitely try to roll. Whether it rolls out or not will be the question. It will definitely take some weight off the upright tree and make it a bit safer to try to drop.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You’re mostly right. Yes, it’s gonna all fall one way. But the weight of that leaning tree is significant. You cut into that kickstand tree and she’s gonna pop… It will be unpredictable and dangerous. I guarantee that. Can it be done? Absolutely. Will your butthole be puckered? It damn well better be.
I’d be cutting on the leaner from the ground up. It’ll start too teeter some once in to it. Once it teeters you can manage the angle with some rope and teeter it back and forth making cuts. Eventually the chunk left will slide out of the kick stand.
I actually had one similar too this a couple years ago. Worked like a champ. But @Fletch was correct in making sure you always have a plan too bail. Drop the saw and move quickly if needed. Anything on the ground that would hinder that needs removed.