Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lone Wolf climber thoughts/reviews

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’m seriously considering going with a 100% mobile setup approach next year and am in the market for a new lightweight climber. I’m looking hard at the Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber and also the Sit and Climb. The differences are obvious and I’m just trying to figure out if the added comfort and benefits of the Sit and Climb are worth the extra 5lbs in weight. (I love that the hand climber comes in at only 15 lbs) So I guess my question is, do any of you have experience with either of these stands? If so, what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance for the help...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had the hand climber for a short time. I thouyi was going to die every time I used it. I hated it and sold it after only a few uses. I did like how it folded for packing. This was several years ago. I was too old, fat and stiff to use it then and that hasn’t improved with time. Absolute garbage, IMO. You’ll find plenty of others that love them.

Reactions: Isaacorps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a sit n climb and it's great. Climbing with it using the sit bar is an absolute breeze, and fast once you get the hang of it. You'll use more energy and potentially sweat more with the hand climber. Whether that's worth a 5# weight reduction or not is up to you. I pack mine into public land a long way and never once considered it too heavy or bulky. If you want to shave some weight on the sit b climb, ditch the stock LW seat and install a Hazemore mesh seat.

Jamie

Ohio
I've been using a Lone Wolf hand climber for about 20 years. replaced the traction belt with a longer one several years ago, but it has held up very well. I like its slim profile on my back, don't need or want the luxury of the sit and climb model, or the extra bulk or weight that comes with it. it is quiet and easy to carry, extremely quiet to set up and while climbing, and the hand climber/seat can be folded against the tree when you are standing giving your more room and freedom to move around on the stand. I do not necessarily like to use a climbing stand for all of the obvious reasons, but when you need one, you need one, and this is the best one I have ever used. when mobility is your goal, less is more, imo. unless you are too old and fat. lol...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Get a sit and climb . Mush easier to climb with . More comfortable , And you can reach down and loosen or tighten the band as needed when climbing . I hunt more Ike 90 percent of the time . And I only use my LW hang on and sticks a few times a year . The rest of the time I use my sit and climb

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I have a hand climber and I can scoot up and down pretty good, BUT I do get sweaty 9/10 times. I bought a summit sit and climb from Mike to use next year.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Awesome, thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I love the 15# aspect of the hand climber but to be honest I’m slightly averse to heights as it is so I think the extra 5# on the sit and climb may be well worth it for the added mental security of having something “around” me. This is what I always liked about my Viper but that was about the only thing lol. I think going from 30# down to 20 alone will be a game changer, not to mention losing the billones and noise of the Viper. I intend to put my hands on them sometime soon to get a good feel for both of them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also, the lone Wolf folds up flat, unlike the summit tree stands. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. Less space taken up in the truck and it packs easier, being tighter to your body.
Awesome, thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I love the 15# aspect of the hand climber but to be honest I’m slightly averse to heights as it is so I think the extra 5# on the sit and climb may be well worth it for the added mental security of having something “around” me. This is what I always liked about my Viper but that was about the only thing lol. I think going from 30# down to 20 alone will be a game changer, not to mention losing the billones and noise of the Viper. I intend to put my hands on them sometime soon to get a good feel for both of them.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I have a sit n climb and it's great. Climbing with it using the sit bar is an absolute breeze, and fast once you get the hang of it. You'll use more energy and potentially sweat more with the hand climber. Whether that's worth a 5# weight reduction or not is up to you. I pack mine into public land a long way and never once considered it too heavy or bulky. If you want to shave some weight on the sit b climb, ditch the stock LW seat and install a Hazemore mesh seat.
This is precisely the scenario I’ll be looking at. I’m leaning more and more toward the sit and climb. I’ll definitely look into that seat. Thanks for the suggestion

Isaacorps

Columbus
Also, the lone Wolf folds up flat, unlike the summit tree stands. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. Less space taken up in the truck and it packs easier, being tighter to your body.
Exactly what I’m after. Slimmer, lower profile and tighter to my body while packing it. I hate feel like a turtle with an oversized shell on my back

Reactions: jagermeister

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I leave my bottom fully assembled . And flatten my top . I put my pack on top of that and use the supplied bungee to hold everything tight in place .

When I get to my tree I hang my platform. Then undo the bungee , remove my pack and put it on my back . Then I climb onto the platform . Pick up the top section . Expand it to normal . Hang it then start climbing.

I like the cinch straps on the LW . They really lock the stand in well . I also removed the factory seat and replaced it with a hazmore .

I've probably had my sit and climb 15 year and have killed a ton of deer out of it .

Isaacorps

Columbus
I leave my bottom fully assembled . And flatten my top . I put my pack on top of that and use the supplied bungee to hold everything tight in place .

When I get to my tree I hang my platform. Then undo the bungee , remove my pack and put it on my back . Then I climb onto the platform . Pick up the top section . Expand it to normal . Hang it then start climbing.

I like the cinch straps on the LW . They really lock the stand in well . I also removed the factory seat and replaced it with a hazmore .

I've probably had my sit and climb 15 year and have killed a ton of deer out of it .
I was thinking of ways to secure a pack to it, this makes a ton of sense. Have any of y’all swapped out the stock straps with MOLLE straps? Sounds like the hazmore seat is a consensus upgrade...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking of ways to secure a pack to it, this makes a ton of sense. Have any of y’all swapped out the stock straps with MOLLE straps? Sounds like the hazmore seat is a consensus upgrade...

Regular bungee cords work great. Keep your eyes open you'll probably pick a couple up along side of the road in your travels. That's where I usually get mine. LOL

Lone Wolf also sells some stretchy rubber straps with quick buckles on them. You adjust them to the length you need, and they stay there... So when you want to use them you just pull, stretch, and buckle. They're slick. Not as cheap as free bungee cords though.