Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

lost a property...sort of.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
But its actually a good thing.

I got out for a few today to round up some permission slips.
There is a spot I have been hunting for a couple years now that is actually 2 adjoining properties. One is a larger woods that is owned by a local farmer. i primarily hunt his property when I'm out there. The property to the south is owned by an older woman the leases out the cropland to a large farming outfit.

The farmer that owns the larger area is weary of allowing too many people on his property. I get there early because I am the only one that asks permission for turkey season and he has no problem giving me permission for deer and small game as well. By the time fall comes around he typically turns people away which leaves myself and one guy that only hunts during gun season as the only people with permission. last year i didnt even see that guy.

He gave me permission this year.

I stopped by the other place and found a sign in the window, "no hunting permits"

bummer.

But all hope was not lost, I rarely hunt this ladies land. She used to own a large plot across the street as well as a 6 or 7 acre spot next to her house. Most of the other hunters around got permission for the place across the street. She sold that last year. Which greatly decreased hunting pressure because the new owners don't allow hunting. I did, however run into a couple guys that were hunting the small woods next to her. because of this competition, I stayed on the farmers property (where they don't have permission) and just used her property as access. After speaking with her today, she said she wasn't giving hunting permission this year because the small area next to her house isn't big enough to be worth the hassle of permission slips. (the fact is, this little area is the primary doe bedding area) She did say I could still park there and walk through her woods to get to the farmers property behind her. As a matter of fact, since there wont be any other hunters around, I don't have to park on the street anymore, I can park in her drive if I want.

What this means to me is that I can still hunt where I normally do, and that the guys that hunted her property wont be around. I basically have the place to myself.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Sounds good! I would still ask the farmer face to face though as he had been giving you permission in the past. Maybe he is already planning on you hunting so he put the sign up to keep others away and not you. Just a thought.

The farmer did give me permission. The lady on the neighboring property is the one who posted the sign. I did talk to her, she gave me permission to access his property from hers, as well as park in her drive.

The farmer did give me permission. The lady on the neighboring property is the one who posted the sign. I did talk to her, she gave me permission to access his property from hers, as well as park in her drive.

Ok gotcha! Love trying to read this stuff on a little phone screen and trying to understand what was there. Sounds like it's all working out for the better!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Sounds like it all worked out Dave. Time to kill a long beard out there now!

Sooner or later i'm going to. That property is loaded with turkeys in the summer fall and winter. I have had them feed in bow range during deer season on several occasions. i even had a huge gobbler fly up in a tree right behind me while in my climber a couple years ago. They are almost always on trail cam checks. But in the spring... They just seem to vanish.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know that feeling. See them in the fall and a month before the season, but they disappeared last year while in season.