Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Making lemonade.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You've all heard the saying; "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade". Well, I have a bit of a lemon in my hand. My left elbow has been a mess since July. I have very little strength in it most days, and a good deal of pain to go along with it. I hurt that elbow in 2003 while getting myself together to shoot the IBO worlds and it has given me grief off and on ever since. This last round however has really been far worse than any other. It has never really kept me from shooting much until this year. Since July, I've been able to shoot 3 times, there simply isn't enough strength, and it hurts too much to try. Most days I can barely straighten it out. Fortunately, I still have movement and strength to curl my arm up, so fishing is good most days!:) The doctors do not think there is anything to be done about it aside from pain meds and rest. With bowseason coming in, I'm looking at the first time in over 30 years I can't shoot!

With this being a bit of an aggravation, there is light at the end of the tunnel! I bought an Excalibur last year about Christmas time for Mason to use. I enjoyed shooting the thing so much I considered that I may use it this season. I didn't give it any thought that I may not have any choice in the matter. At this point, I'm really glad to have the thing, and the option to use it. I've never considered using one seriously before, but there have been times I thought if I could position myself in certain places in cut cornfields in a prone position with a crossbow, I'd have it made. There are lots of areas that deer habitually travel in flat agricultural areas I often hunt that have no trees. Ground blinds of the pop up variety are useless in the area as I know they avoid them. I need a way to be invisible while laying in the wide open. So, with the thought of using a crossbow this season, and no need to get vertical to shoot, I figured I'd make up a ghillie suit. I looked at a bunch of them online, but I didn't see any that I liked. I knew I'd be customizing any that I bought anyway so I figured I'd just do it from scratch. I'm not 100% with this thing yet, but I'm sure when I add natural vegetation to it, it will work well in CRP edges, and cornstubble. Though I may not be able hunt as I am used to this season, I think I'm still going to have a whole lot of fun!

My bride snapped this picture of me trying out the suit on the back porch. She mentioned something about me being an idiot, but I was having a good time with it!:)

Attachments

• 092320131045.jpg
    092320131045.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 191

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I like the suit!

Have you had any cortisone shots in your elbow? They don't necessarily cure anything, but dag, it will make you feel like you have a whole new elbow for a few months. At least it did for me.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Very cool Brock, what kind of material did you use to make it? And next time your wife calls you. A name like that just remind her that she was the one that married you. :smiley_clap:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hahaha! You look like Sigman the sea monster if anyone remembers that children's show back in the 70's...lol

Hey Brock, I've battled tendonitis in both my elbows and shoulders over the years and it isn't fun! I found inflammatories and rest along with pressure wraps eventually got me back to 100 percent. It was a very long process but after a year or so it finally got better. Good luck with your situation and I hope the xbow/ghillie combo helps you chug that lemonade buddy!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The elbow is probably just another source of constant aggravation for me. I've had a degenerative bone disease since HS. I was catching a game my junior year and couldn't slide out to get a wild pitch...just couldn't move my left knee. They had hurt as long as I could remember, but that kinda came with the territory of having them bent all the time, or so I thought. Dr. Tessner was the head of Grant Sports Med. I went to see him. After surgery, he told me he'd never seen anything like it and did the best he could to put it back together with life-long orders not to squat down. The bones in my knees were just falling apart and the chips were cutting all the good stuff inside. Unfortunately, he thought it was a form of arthritis and would likely go into the rest of my joints. I suspect it has. Along with that I've dealt with gout for the last 12 years. I limp around more days than not. It affects my feet, ankles, knees, and left elbow, regardless of what diet I follow, amount of water I drink, or any "home remedy" I try. The meds help some, but not much. It's just a minor pain in the tail, and folks have a lot worse to deal with, but at times it does get a little old. However, I can still shoot an Xbow! And who knows, in a few days I may be able to shoot my bows! It sometimes goes as fast as it shows up... It's a bit of a crimp in my plans admittedly, though, as I'm used to shooting bows probably 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. You need a little variety in life to keep things interesting, so maybe crossbow hunting flat on my round belly will be the most fun thing I've ever done! :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very cool Brock, what kind of material did you use to make it? And next time your wife calls you. A name like that just remind her that she was the one that married you. :smiley_clap:

Steve, I've actually made a couple of them recently. This one was by far the easiest. It won't be overly durable, but it will serve the purpose and pack easily. I used the 3-d leafy blind material that is sold at Walmart as a base. I fashioned it like a poncho, complete with hood. Attached to it is burlap and hemp cording. Both are available at Walmart. It is far lighter than the other one I made recently, and involved far less time. The other one is made out of an old pair of camo coveralls that I sewed burlap and other frayed material too. It is heavy and hot! Sewing is for the birds, at least that much sewing. Using the mesh-like material made tying the burlap and cord possible vs sewing, and it is still fairly light weight, and roomy enough to cover my carcass even if I'm using a Heater Body Suit under it. I think I'm gonna like this one, but a little field time is needed to say for sure.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have the same problem Brock.I had surgery on my right hand in March and have to do the left one when i am ready.I too went to an excalibur crossbow last year do to my left elbow.I have had 2 cortisone shots and they do help.But seems like a long process of healing.I miss shooting my compound but hopefully can do it again someday but am enjoying shooting the crossbow.Since i am shooting the crossbow i got a nice Millennium ladder stand and blended it in with netting and grasses from our switchgrass field.It really looks good plus they are easy to climb intoEven put up a couple blinds this year..Good luck with your elbow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, and good luck with your's! I have some ladder stands up too, a couple of which are really good spots. I won't have any trouble getting in them, just looking forward to exploiting this crossbow thing to put myself into hiding spots I couldn't have with a bow. Best of luck to you this season!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Brock, I honest to God feel horrible for you just for the Gout alone. Im 34 and have suffered from it for atleast 10-12 years. I get it in my left ankle, big toe, achilles tendon (the worst), and my left wrist. My Dad also sufferes from it badly. I tried every home remedy I could find but nothing helped. From Cider and cherry extract and vinegar, you name it, I tried it. Finally I couldnt stand it and I went to the Dr. in Dec of 2010 and they put me on 100 mg pill of Allopurinol a day and it has changed my life. I went from multiple bouts a month that would last atleast a week to absolutely nothing. This spring I had my first attack since that trip to the Doc. And that was because I didnt get to the pharmacy to fill my presription and I ate a shit ton of asparagus and other shit like peanuts that are high in Uric Acid that week. Sure enough, my joint in my big toe swelled up like a balloon. Lesson learned. Just a $7 a month prescription and kinda watching how much of certain things I eat literally stopped it. Since then my Dad has gotten Allopurinol and he has to take double what I do but he rarely if ever has had an attack. Gout is something I wouldnt wish upon my worst enemy. Hope you can find something that helps you

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My doc put me on that too. One cool side effct, I didnt have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Not sure why, but I wasnt complaining.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Red, that stuff is horrible. I don't think a person can understand it unless you've dealt with it. I know you have! That stuff in your tendons is a joy, and I'll probably agree it's about as bad as getting it anywhere. Like you, I've had it the last several years at least a little every day. I'm taking allopurinol now. I put it off as long as I could and tried everything else I could before giving in. There are nasty side effects, but I've gotten to the point I'd almost rather be dead anyway at times. It has helped in that I haven't had it in my feet, knees or ankles since I started taking it. This thing with my elbow is slow to go away though. The pain at times goes into all the surrounding muscle and will make me squirm like a sissy at times. Thankfully, right now, the pain is tolerable, I just have no strength. I can't even push open my truck door with my left arm...it's pathetic, really. Who knows, next week I may be back to shooting all the time... GOUT SUCKS. :) Glad you're feeling better!

Below is a pic of my elbow the last night of our N Mi fishing trip. The swelling was only half way down my arm at the time. By the time I drove home, my arm was so swollen I couldn't close my fist. Gout caused me to lose the biggest smallmouth I will probably ever hook on the evening I took this pic. I couldn't fight the fish, and lost him as I tried to hand the rod to my son. That was the final straw, and the reason I decided to start on Allopurinal after all these years. :) When my doc asked why I was in, I answered "I lost a fish".

Attachments

• North Allis-20130719-00923.jpg
    North Allis-20130719-00923.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 130

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My doc put me on that too. One cool side effct, I didnt have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Not sure why, but I wasnt complaining.

It dehydrates you. Your supposed to drink alot more water with it, but I rarely drink any in excess of what I normally do. And come to think of it, I guess I dont have to piss as much either:smiley_coolpeace:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Red, that stuff is horrible. I don't think a person can understand it unless you've dealt with it. I know you have! That stuff in your tendons is a joy, and I'll probably agree it's about as bad as getting it anywhere. Like you, I've had it the last several years at least a little every day. I'm taking allopurinol now. I put it off as long as I could and tried everything else I could before giving in. There are nasty side effects, but I've gotten to the point I'd almost rather be dead anyway at times. It has helped in that I haven't had it in my feet, knees or ankles since I started taking it. This thing with my elbow is slow to go away though. The pain at times goes into all the surrounding muscle and will make me squirm like a sissy at times. Thankfully, right now, the pain is tolerable, I just have no strength. I can't even push open my truck door with my left arm...it's pathetic, really. Who knows, next week I may be back to shooting all the time... GOUT SUCKS. :) Glad you're feeling better!

Below is a pic of my elbow the last night of our N Mi fishing trip. The swelling was only half way down my arm at the time. By the time I drove home, my arm was so swollen I couldn't close my fist. Gout caused me to lose the biggest smallmouth I will probably ever hook on the evening I took this pic. I couldn't fight the fish, and lost him as I tried to hand the rod to my son. That was the final straw, and the reason I decided to start on Allopurinal after all these years. :) When my doc asked why I was in, I answered "I lost a fish".

Damn, it takes a lost fish to force you. My last straw was having my buddy's all call me Curt "Gouty" cuz I would limp around and I wasnt able to do any deer drives with them that gun season.Im far from a Doc, but does he think the elbow is gout, or maybe something else. From what I've read, the elbows and knees are the absolute worst. On a side note, doesnt it always seem like when its in your toe you do the dumbest shit to bump that toe and sent you into an epileptic fit of cussing and whining? Hope the medicine works for you like it has me

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's funny all the things that trigger it. Golfers get it when they wake up for their T-time. I used to get it before every big archery shoot I ever shot. I did pretty well in the IBO stuff, but can't help but wonder how much better I could have done if I'd have been able to walk without the constant and nearly unbearable pain. It's just nasty stuff that can take the fun out of living in a hurry! I hurt that elbow years ago, and the doc says gout will go to a previously injured joint ...which is really nice. I stuck a needle in the elbow a couple of weeks ago to try getting the acid/crystals out. The stuff looked like salt, and wouldn't come out very well regardless of how much blood I had flowing trying to wash it out. The knot on my elbow is hard, I don't think it will ever get right. Joe will witness, we used to dove hunt just to shoot our guns a lot and fast...this year we limited early, probably because I couldn't work the pump fast enough to make it fun!:)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I literally thought that was just a pile of material you were working with. Had to look at it a second time to see your feet. You going to take anything to lay on?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As a matter of fact I am! We had a foam top my bride bought years ago for a bed. She took it off that bed several years ago and asked if I wanted to do something with it. I put it up in the rafters of the garage as I figured it would be of some use at some point. That sucker is getting cut to fit today! It's about 4" thick, and should provide additional comfort and warmth. It will roll up nice and tidy too.