Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mason missed!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I arrived a few minutes late this morning. As soon as we topped the first ridge we heard one hammering away on the next property over. We found a likely spot to set up and got comfortable. Rain, wind, and still we had 'em gobbling. Not a bad way to start the day.

One bird would answer every time I made a yelp. He was fired up, but I assumed like with most roosted birds, his hens would take him away as soon as he hit the ground. The fact that this bird was quick to gobble made it very hard for me not to wear the calls out as I like to hear 'em...since this was Mason's hunt, I figured we should try to kill one, and kept my calling to the minimum. Around 8, we were both a bit chilled, and the birds had stopped gobbling. We started to slide down the ridge just a bit to get out of the wind, but before committing to moving too far, I made several cuts. The birds lit up, and they were close! We shuffled back into our original set up as quickly as we could and managed to do so without spooking the birds. That started a 45 minute show...strutting, fighting, picking around, just being turkeys. They were just out of range and had forgotten why they were there, so I started cutting at them some more. That was all they needed, and they marched right to us. Mason was shaking like a leaf the entire time the birds were in sight, and it seemed to be getting worse with each step they took. The birds went behind a fallen tree, and to my surprise, Mason made his move like a pro and got the gun up and leveled! The first bird passed, then the second. When the third, a big longbeard, stepped into the opening at ten yards, Mason cut loose....and they all flew off!:) He started running through a list of excuses before the gun shot stopped echoing! I couldn't help but laugh, and eventually he did too. He admitted he would have made a better shot if he had remembered to aim.... Better luck next time, I suppose.

BTW, to go along with the "dumb turkey" thing... we went mushroom hunting for 15 minutes or so, circled back around and called the same big longbeard right back in, gobbling all the way. This time he caught Mason moving and bugged out before getting in range. I should add, I told Mason I was going to slip off in the woods behind him to work the bird into his position. I made it about 75 yards into the brush when I heard Mason yell "Dad, I can't see you!".... I ran back up right behind him and told him to stop talking...the bird did NOT even spook and continued to gobble and head our way! I'd say it did have a little to do with him being a little spooky when he popped his ugly head over the hill though...

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is Mason at the scene of the crime, empty shell in hand...

Attachments

• IMG00329-20120421-0945.jpg
    IMG00329-20120421-0945.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 185

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Mason and I arrived a few minutes late this morning. As soon as we topped the first ridge we heard one hammering away on the next property over. We found a likely spot to set up and got comfortable. Rain, wind, and still we had 'em gobbling. Not a bad way to start the day.

One bird would answer every time I made a yelp. He was fired up, but I assumed like with most roosted birds, his hens would take him away as soon as he hit the ground. The fact that this bird was quick to gobble made it very hard for me not to wear the calls out as I like to hear 'em...since this was Mason's hunt, I figured we should try to kill one, and kept my calling to the minimum. Around 8, we were both a bit chilled, and the birds had stopped gobbling. We started to slide down the ridge just a bit to get out of the wind, but before committing to moving too far, I made several cuts. The birds lit up, and they were close! We shuffled back into our original set up as quickly as we could and managed to do so without spooking the birds. That started a 45 minute show...strutting, fighting, picking around, just being turkeys. They were just out of range and had forgotten why they were there, so I started cutting at them some more. That was all they needed, and they marched right to us. Mason was shaking like a leaf the entire time the birds were in sight, and it seemed to be getting worse with each step they took. The birds went behind a fallen tree, and to my surprise, Mason made his move like a pro and got the gun up and leveled! The first bird passed, then the second. When the third, a big longbeard, stepped into the opening at ten yards, Mason cut loose....and they all flew off!:) He started running through a list of excuses before the gun shot stopped echoing! I couldn't help but laugh, and eventually he did too. He admitted he would have made a better shot if he had remembered to aim.... Better luck next time, I suppose.

BTW, to go along with the "dumb turkey" thing... we went mushroom hunting for 15 minutes or so, circled back around and called the same big longbeard right back in, gobbling all the way. This time he caught Mason moving and bugged out before getting in range. I should add, I told Mason I was going to slip off in the woods behind him to work the bird into his position. I made it about 75 yards into the brush when I heard Mason yell "Dad, I can't see you!".... I ran back up right behind him and told him to stop talking...the bird did NOT even spook and continued to gobble and head our way! I'd say it did have a little to do with him being a little spooky when he popped his ugly head over the hill though...

Great stuff right there Brock, that is what makes em keep wanting to get back out there. I have to admit I started laughing out loud when I got to the shaking part, Good stuff Brock and Mason.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a bummer that he missed, but I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson and had an awesome experience... In the end, that's really what it's all about anyway. Better luck next time!

Huckleberry Finn

I bet at ten yards that pattern size was TINY!!

Yup...those close shots are difficult for that reason.

But taking a picture of your kid after a miss with the empty shell? Hell, my dad would have a full photo album from deer gun seasons!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yup...those close shots are difficult for that reason.

But taking a picture of your kid after a miss with the empty shell? Hell, my dad would have a full photo album from deer gun seasons!

I take pics of my kids all the time, and will continue to do so. As Mrex said in his post regarding Corey's turkey, they grow up way too fast, and I try to remember as much of this short time together as I can....I figure I'll keep right on doing it. Maybe I'll have one of him with a dead turkey tomorrow, but probably just another spent shell. :)

Huckleberry Finn

I take pics of my kids all the time, and will continue to do so. As Mrex said in his post regarding Corey's turkey, they grow up way too fast, and I try to remember as much of this short time together as I can....I figure I'll keep right on doing it. Maybe I'll have one of him with a dead turkey tomorrow, but probably just another spent shell. :)

As my father would say, "Well, the guide got an A+ this morning, can't say the same for the shooter!" I meant that first comment as jokingly cruel, I've been ribbed endlessly - and still am - by dad for the deer that I've missed. And you are right...I've grown and dad doesn't hunt with me any more. Great family memories.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like some great quality time with Mason in the woods! Congrats on getting in on some action.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrat's on a good outing Brock...Memories are priceless...I TOO had to laugh, I could literally see him shaking! I still do myself.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I remember my oldest son Ryan missing 2 in a row at about that same age. After watching him shoot "at" the 2nd gobbler, I noticed he wasn't putting his cheek on the receiver which caused him to shoot over them. I think it's the thrill of the hunt that lures most kids...I'll bet Mason is hook, line and sinker!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great stuff Brock, how old is Mason? It's really cool too hear y'alls stories with your kids taking them out hunting..... My Son is 25 and I have a ton of memories of him and I hunting together as will you..... Lots of reflecting time when they have grown and moved on but they always look forward too coming back and going back out with you..... I'm really looking forward too next rabbit/deer season and hoping too spend a little time in the field with him again.....