Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

May have to sell my soul this year

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Back in June I slipped on some steps in my backyard and landed full force on the corner of one. The impact was just above my left elbow. I have a pretty high tolerance of pain, but this was so bad I almost passed out and threw up twice. I tried to suck it up, tell myself to quit being a baby and walk it off, but quickly realized that I needed to get back into the house before I blacked out otherwise I could be outside, in the rain, for hours. Luckily I didn't break anything and "all" I did was damage the tendons and muscle. The injury was pretty bad and its been a long and slow recovery. I lost a lot of strength and even have some nerve damage to my left pinky finger. To put things in perspective I was in pretty good shape and doing incline 80 pound dumbbell presses for sets of 10. After the accident I couldn't lift 15 pounds.

Fast forward to today. I'm up to 60 pound dumbbell presses, but I'm not strong enough to fully extend my arms when doing so. I can only get 30 or 40 pounds up with a full extension. I've been doing band exercises to strengthen my tendons and muscle which has helped but process has been slow. My finger has also gotten better and how its only numb at the tip vise the whole thing. I'm finally able to get my fishing bow back buy its only 30 or 40 pounds. I was hoping to be able to get my 65 pound Hoyt back but it is looking like I wont be able to for a few more months. I tried drawing my 50 lb recurve and I can only get it back about half way.

So.……. Here I am...… At that point in where I've always said...…. I'm choking up...… Always said that if I wasn't physically able...… ugh..... to shoot a vertical bow..... that..... well..... God forgive me......

I'll use a string gun... (que: Thunder) A friends son said I could use his vise buying one.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet though. I'm focused on my elk/muley hunting trip and probably won't archery hunt until November. Maybe I'll be GTG by then, but if not then..... well.... I'll,,,,, I'll set my pride aside and do what I have to do...…

Reactions: teenbowhunter

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Sorry to hear you hurt yourself Chuck. My dad had similar thing happen. He slipped and landed on his elbow and they had to do a couple surgeries to put anchors in to reattach tendons and ligaments. He hung up his compound for the Xbow and never looked back. But trad bows are a huge part of your life, I'm sure you'll get back to it before you know it

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shit happens and you roll with the punches. I well aware of your history with the string guns, but all I can say is “welcome too the dark side “ 😂😂😂😂
Not trying too make lite of your situation but you’d of done the same 😂
Hopefully it’s a temporary thing and your back too your elitist self in no time, Chuck...

Reactions: Mike

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I feel for ya. Hunted with recurve 25-30 yrs,
then a compound last 10-15 yrs. screwed up my shoulder and haven’t now hunted bow last 2 years.
But it’s a beautiful time to be in the woods and I’ve come to terms with it so horizontal it will have to be.

It’ll be OK.

Reactions: GoetsTalon and Mike

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Might want to get the ulnar nerve checked out. The numbness and your pinky quivering are classic signs. I had it and lost 25% of my strength in my left arm. When working and lifting, it’s noticeable. Things you used to do without thinking now requires an extra bit of effort. Good luck with your rehab.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Don't make the mistake of thinking a crossbow is an automatic no-brainer. Still gotta practice, zero in, make sure arrows fly right. Gotta carry the damned thing. It is possible to miss with a crossbow. (But you shouldn't)

The hunting and woodsmanship is the important thing, not what you're shooting

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I hope for a speedy recovery, Chuck. I'll tell you this, If injury or poor health puts me out of the vertical game, my ass will be in the check out line with a nice horizontal bow. No way in hell I'm missing bow season!

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Sorry to hear that but it is acceptable to switch under those circumstances. I feel the same as you that as long as I'm able I will carry a vertical bow. My eyesight will most likely be the determining factor. Each year it gets more difficult to get everything focused and on target.
Good luck to ya.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Might want to get the ulnar nerve checked out. The numbness and your pinky quivering are classic signs. I had it and lost 25% of my strength in my left arm. When working and lifting, it’s noticeable. Things you used to do without thinking now requires an extra bit of effort. Good luck with your rehab.

THANKS! Man, I'm definitely glad I posted this. I will definitely get it checked out! I haven't had any quivering, but strength wise its been a slow recovery. I also have a "knot" or some scar tissue used to stick out like a small egg on the spot where I landed. It's about the size of a lima been now.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I also agree, get that xbow and enjoy the season!

If it helps, I'm perfectly healthy and will be toting a xbow at times this year. I have never killed a deer with one but I am more than happy to have the convenience and ease vs. a compound to help fill the freezer.

It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. My boys xbow is fast and hits it mark everytime.....wish I could say the same for my compound bow shooting lmao!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
PRAISE THE LORD!!!
23044.jpeg

Reactions: Big_Holla

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA

I wanted to follow up on this. I had cubital tunnel release surgery a month ago. My finger is probalt 70 percent better and still improving.

Thank you for posting this response. I you had not I probably never would have had it checked out.