Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mechanic question

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok I’m working on my car, had a shutter of the passenger front brake so I replaced rotor.... got better but eventually got worse... now I replaced the entire brake caliper and rotor again... got progressively worse again..it’s only the right front ...any thoughts on this as I’m stumped... going to check ball joints this morning by this is a 2014 and shouldn’t have those issues ... tires were also rebalanced

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hub bearing going out of it?
Does it only do it when you hit the brakes?

Stupid question, did you replace the pads?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
When I hit the brakes it hammers like it’s the abs failing... as I slow down the hammering slows down(doesn’t appear to hit as hard) if I’m under 25 mph it doesn’t do it. I don’t feel it pulsing the pedal either

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When I hit the brakes it hammers like it’s the abs failing... as I slow down the hammering slows down(doesn’t appear to hit as hard) if I’m under 25 mph it doesn’t do it. I don’t feel it pulsing the pedal either

Pull the ABS relay (should be in the fuse box under the hood) and see if it continues. That should rule out your ABS sensor on that wheel.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It went bad quick like 10 minutes of driving... I’m going to rebleed the brakes. I can pull the module unfortunately... I tried that to test and it’s one they have locked in there.

At first I just changed the rotor because the brakes were good. Then it went almost instantly back. It wasn’t as bad at first but after I drove it, it got worse quickly. The. I changed the caliper and rotor and almost the exact same thing

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think I’m going to just unplug the sensor front wheel and see what happens

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Found an oddly placed zip tie on the control wiring in the back of the abs block

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It also appears I’m missing some fuses.... not sure why as they aren’t called to be blanks

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Unplug wheel speed sensor on that wheel and see what happens. Check CV axle boot to see if it is split. Jack up that wheel and see if there is any play in wheel by moving it up down and side to side. I would think if it was ABS acting up you would get a CEL.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Unplug wheel speed sensor on that wheel and see what happens. Check CV axle boot to see if it is split. Jack up that wheel and see if there is any play in wheel by moving it up down and side to side. I would think if it was ABS acting up you would get a CEL.

Or a ABS inop?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Did all those and nothing. It’s tight as can be. I pulled the abs sensor and it has some gunk on it. Cleaned it up and in going to rebleed the brakes and see what happens. I get no warning lights at this point

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok bled brakes and got some improvement. Not hitting as hard. Still getting some. The abs block is the high point of the brake system besides the master cylinder.. air trapped in there? I use a vacuum pump system to bleed brakes

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Fluid seemed to have some air in it and then went mosty
Solid. I cracked the abs valve where that wheel line comes in and fluid came out so we will see what happens. Letting it cool down for the moment. When I stand on the brakes they are solid and not spongy