Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Metzger Reservoir

I was finally able to get on some open water yesterday evening, for about an hour and half. I marked most of the fish in 7 feet of water or less. There were other markings, in lesser numbers, at 18 to 24 feet of water. The water temps were at 38 degrees.

I'm going back and trying some different lures/baits and see how it goes from there. It was just good to get back out in the kayak and be on the water. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Well, I've been back to Metzger 3x, mark a lot of fish every time, but can't seem to find out what they like to eat. :smiley_confused_vra
I was out there this evening, by the pump house and the fishfinder was marking a silly amount of fish...all sizes, in 30' of water with fish from 26' up to 14'. It was insane watching the fishfinder, as there were times when screen would have 25+ fish of all sizes, on it at one time.

I'm gonna go back out there and try some minnows, sink them down deep and see how that works. I sat there in my kayak laughing at the numbers of fish, while none of my jigs, spoons, etc. were catching their attention.

Bowhunter57

Water temperature is the only thing that I can think of, for a reason as to why these fish aren't biting. This evening I fished at all levels, used a bobber, no bobber, used a small bait hook with minnows, mousies and spikes. Not so much as a nibble! The water temp was 36.

I've never seen this many fish on the screen, at one time. I just sat there and laughed...waiting for a bite. I was at the same place...not 10 feet from the pump house.

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Red Cloud,
Odd that you should say that, cause that's how I was fishing for them...jigging. Like I said, I just sat there and laughed. They just wouldn't hit anything.

Bowhunter57

Sometimes that's all we can do lol. Fishing or hunting it makes no difference and we just have to laugh and shake our heads at the situation lol.

xbowguy said:
Fish Decoys?
Sorta... I have this posted on OGF (Ohio Game Fishing) and one of the guys said that I needed to turn the fish I.D. and depth I.D. off. That way the fishfinder would show arcs, instead of fish shapes and the individual numbers are mere interferance. They were saying that what I'm looking at are large schools of bait fish, possibly shad. The large and small fish shapes are larger or smaller schools or masses of fish.

The next time I'm out and see that many fish on my finder at one time, I'll have to change the screen functions.

Bowhunter57