Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Site Updates - May 2013

Our mineral site there in Ohio we call the Old Saw, simply because it has the remnants of an old sawmill from many years ago there. Here we used Monster RAXX and it sure didn't disappoint.

Thought for sure I'd see the birth of a couple fawns after getting to these doe pictures! Man they're ready to burst at this point!!

This mineral site is what we call the Big Holla site. It's located down in the big valley that runs N/S on the Eastern part of our property there in Ohio. This valley has always been called 'the big holla' by our family over the years. Here we also used Monster RAXX and when I arrived to check the camera the SD card had been full for over a week. My mistake, I should have gotten at least the 8 gb cards.

Love this picture. As I was going through the card I found we had plenty of coon pics but this one kinda 'stood out' to me!

Dang coyote

Thinking he's one of our good one's we were watching last year. Has a great start anyways!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great haul Chuck! You should get some fawn pics next time for sure! Those does in the first couple pics are ready to explode! How awesome would it be to capture a doe giving birth? Goodluck!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Cool pictures Chuck, thanks for sharing. Question - what's the purpose of the log? Are you dumping your minerals on the log or is it a locator?

Cool pictures Chuck, thanks for sharing. Question - what's the purpose of the log? Are you dumping your minerals on the log or is it a locator?

We use the stump to dump the mineral over. As they dig and make a crater the stump will be there to also absorb some of the mineral. As it rots deer can then lick and chew at the stump in between refreshing it. Just something a lot of friends have done for years on their sites as well. Also helps hold moisture there as well to allow the deer to loosen and consume the soil/mineral.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of the mineral sites as we walked up to them last weekend. Notice the middle picture, I don't know if you can see it but the big stump has been gnawed at pretty good over the years. The one on the left is the big holla site and the one on the right is the old saw, both were brand new sites this year.

Attachments

• Big-Holla.jpg
    Big-Holla.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 236
  • Big-Stump.jpg
    Big-Stump.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Old-Saw.jpg
    Old-Saw.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 229