Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mink

I've had the following encounters with mink this year:
- late spring, one was splashing/swimming in my pond
- early summer, one was in the creek leading to my pond
- mid summer, while bike riding saw a road killed mink 1/4 mile down the road
- late summer, while biking, saw a bull frog jump out of a roadside ditch with a mink chasing
- this morning, a roadkill mink 1/2 mile up the road

I'd only seen one in the past 20 years, don't know how prevalent they are.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
We have them within our area. Beautiful animals! I had two very close encounters, within 10 yards, and one about 30 yards away over the last two years. One all black, one black/brown and the other was an off white with black spots. Each encounter was midday, like around the noon hour during late time of the year, such as this month, December.
This area that I live in today always seems to amaze me. There always seems to be another new or different wildlife species that shows up or discovered when I get out there in the area. I've lived here now just over five years and have every intention of sticking around for many more.

Reactions: HE>I
We see them on the break walls on Erie around Ashtabula quite a bit.
True "J"! Here in Erie, on the east side there were 2 living at the Launch at East Ave. They were 2 of the largest and most luxurious minks I've ever seen and damn near tame! They ate out of the cans placed there for fish cleaning debris. I would be launching my boat and they would be running around my feet!
When I parked the truck they were in my boat and I thought they were going fishing with me. When I got in they simply jumped back out on the dock.
They weren't there this year though. Kind of miss them.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
We have them within our area. Beautiful animals! I had two very close encounters, within 10 yards, and one about 30 yards away over the last two years. One all black, one black/brown and the other was an off white with black spots. Each encounter was midday, like around the noon hour during late time of the year, such as this month, December.
This area that I live in today always seems to amaze me. There always seems to be another new or different wildlife species that shows up or discovered when I get out there in the area. I've lived here now just over five years and have every intention of sticking around for many more.

Like I said, I have seen them in our area during this time of the year over the last couple of years during midday and have had three different close encounters of them while hiking near our creeks. Below is of one that I captured on one of my TCs the other day (12/30/2021) that is configured for video clips at the feed station area, however please disregard the TC clock because it is obviously wrong and I'm not sure why exactly. I suspect the actual time was somewhere around the midafternoon hours.