Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mock Scrape

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honestly I think any time after velvet peel is a good time to start a mock scrape and/or licking branch. Deer do a ton of communication with their various scents so I don't think you can really start this kind of thing too early. I've used a few different brands of scents and lures and drippers. I personally think I've had just as much success using my own piss in the scrape.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I usually just pee on the ground where I want to get pics of deer. I had my cams out for a week with no mock scrapes, not much action on the cams. We will see if it made much of a difference on the next cam check.

whitetailjunky3

Check out appiration scents nightmare and undertaker both great scents for starting a mock scrape! And they are made close to state line so can get them quick.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen a few scrapes Saturday while I was out. Found a nice low hanging branch, kicked some leaves and dirt around, took a leak, and hung a cam nearby. Haven't found anything any better at starting a scrape then doing this way. Tried drippers and scent years ago with no noticeable benefit. I actually think it had an opposite effect and ran deer off.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Seen a few scrapes Saturday while I was out. Found a nice low hanging branch, kicked some leaves and dirt around, took a leak, and hung a cam nearby. Haven't found anything any better at starting a scrape then doing this way. Tried drippers and scent years ago with no noticeable benefit. I actually think it had an opposite effect and ran deer off.
This was always my experience with everything I had tried. I had given up using scents cuz they never did shit. Gave the JVS a try based on some stuff I had heard and it seemed to work real well

Reactions: RedCloud