Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moose Hunt?

djohn9713

Anyone do a moose hunt? I'm wondering about Maine or the eastern half of Canada. I know Newfoundland has the highest odds for getting a moose. I was just hoping to be able to drive to wherever I'm heading (not a big fan of flying).

Lucky

Sunbury
Im with Dave 100 % the biggest baddest moose are the Alaskan/Yukon moose.. Awesome meat. But second only TOO dall sheep. Dall sheep is my favorite game meat of all. Last time hunting them..assisting a guide. Most of ours were well over 60 inches wide . Lots of mid 60s and our biggest was a bow kill at 71 1/2 inch tip to tip. Half inch from 6ft spread. We were in the kuskukwim river valley...true beasts. If you ever get chance to hunt Alaska......do it.

I hunted Newfoundland with 3 buddies in the late 90's, harvested 3 bulls and 1 cow. We drove up pulling a trailer which was used to haul the meat home. The drive isn't too bad (beautiful country) with multiple drivers and got a room on the ferry on the way over, slept in the seats on the way back.

Reactions: djohn9713

tpierce

A Newfoundland moose hunt is at the top of my bucket list. I just wish I could find somebody to go with me. Every time I start to plan a trip, interested parties seem to flake-out or find excuse not to follow through. Might just have to go it alone.

Reactions: djohn9713

djohn9713

I realize I probably should start with trying to find some moose meat to taste. I'd hate to do all this and then realize I don't like the taste, although consensus seems to be it is great tasting.