Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moving in! New to Ohio

teej89

NE PA
So I've grown up in PA, hunting since it was legal so 12 years... I started hunting OH 2 years ago with some good success. 2 outta the 3 biggest bucks i've ever seen in a stand were from the past 2 years in Ohio. Soooo anyways I just graduated gradschool in December and moved to DC in January to start work. After being down here for the past 5 months I realized I HATE living in this congested city. Long story short I hit up a buddy and his company had an opening in Columbus and after some interviews with them and a flight out there I was offer the job. I start July 8th and am so pumped to call Ohio home. As my Irish luck has it my brother-in-law was chatting with a guy at a party and he owns 62 acres an hour north of cinci that no one hunts on and he said I could hunt it this fall.

Anyways I'm really excited to call Ohio home and be able to hunt there this fall. I'm very fortunate to have been able to find new employment so fast and the employment being an upgrade from my current job.

Anyone from Columbus out there? I'm looking for an archery range to practice at.

-T.J.

Huckleberry Finn

Welcome to Ohio.

Velocity Indoor Range on the SE side of Columbus is a decent joint. It's $8 an hour to shoot. They are also doing some specials right now like $8 for all night on Friday's. http://www.velocityarcheryrange.com/

The Cardinal Center in Marengo, Ohio (about 30 minutes north of Columbus) has a top-of-the-line 25 target 3 course and practice range. http://www.cardinalcentercamp.com/archrates.php If you are there on a nice day, there's a good chance that you will find someone where in a TOO hat!

Where are you from in PA? Spent some time there myself.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Welcome! Where ya going to be moving too? Got a condo for sale west of Columbus... wink wink!!! Central OH ranges..... Fisherman's warehouse, Delaware state park, deer creek state park, apache bowhunters, and a few others..... depends where your at.

teej89

NE PA
Rutin - I'm still in the renting stage haha the buying a place is stage in the 2 year plan, gotta feel out the area and save up the $$$. But in two years....

Huckleberry - I'm from central PA, Hollidaysburg to be exact. Most of my family is in Johnstown/Pittsburgh.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome buddy. I work in Columbus so if you need any advice just shoot me a message.

teej89

NE PA
Stock up on MTO's at Sheetz then man...they ain't got those out here!

Oh man I know! I'll be making a stop at the one in wheeling before going out there for sure haha The sheetz guys are actually from my home town, they belonged to the country club I worked at when I was in highschool.

And thanks Jackalope I appreciate it! Only 4 more days till I get outta this place and up to Ohio I can't wait!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the site and our great state! Plenty of CBus guys on here, so it shouldn't be hard to run in to one of them. Check out the archery shoot at the end of July. Not that far away and a great chance for you to get out and sling some carbon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the site. You found the best place for Ohio outdoor action!

Congrats on your decision to move and making it happen. Not everyone makes their own destiny. Best of luck.

Thirdly, wow! 62acre property lined up and you aren't even a resident yet? That is a stroke of good fortune. Good for you!

teej89

NE PA
Thirdly, wow! 62acre property lined up and you aren't even a resident yet? That is a stroke of good fortune. Good for you!

Yeah I'm pretty excited, it's an alright track tho. I got to check it out on bing maps, kind of residential tho. However he said he's been chasing hunters off it every year, so he's done his best to keep it unhunted. Either way I'll be in cinci my first week of work so I'm gonna check it out and hang some cameras that I'll pick up closer to the season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
"Kinda residential" means big bucks here in Ohio. It doesn't make the best hunting from a peace and tranquility standpoint, but the biggest bucks in our state die close to people. Not all areas like this are created equal, but chances are good it'll work out for you. Learn to "hunt" the people before you hunt the deer...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
"Kinda residential" means big bucks here in Ohio. It doesn't make the best hunting from a peace and tranquility standpoint, but the biggest bucks in our state die close to people. Not all areas like this are created equal, but chances are good it'll work out for you. Learn to "hunt" the people before you hunt the deer...

Ain't that the truth. A guy that I shoot with at Lost Arrow hunts urban deer up in Parma and kills studs, damn things are almost tame up there. Welcome to Ohio and good luck with the job and your new huntin spot. I wish I had 62 acres that hasn't been hunted much all to myself!

Last edited: