Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mushroom Id books?

Bowkills

Nw oh
Anybody have one to suggest? One from this part of the country. I only have a few more I'm going to eat once found, but it's interesting reading what's out there....

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
Anybody have one to suggest? One from this part of the country. I only have a few more I'm going to eat once found, but it's interesting reading what's out there....
I just joined & was looking around & saw your post. I have a few but this is my go to.

Attachments

• 20210109_133556.jpg
    20210109_133556.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 134

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome. I've always wondered if certain ones are edible myself. I was told that puffballs were edible and validated that online. I found a fresh white young one, peeled it, sliced it, breaded and fried it. It tasted like sucking the water out of a rotten log. That's when I realized "edible" does not mean palatable.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Awesome. I've always wondered if certain ones are edible myself. I was told that puffballs were edible and validated that online. I found a fresh white young one, peeled it, sliced it, breaded and fried it. It tasted like sucking the water out of a rotten log. That's when I realized "edible" does not mean palatable.
That was a good one Joe. That's the perfect description for "earthy flavor"

Reactions: Jackalope

NAC1989

Clark county
Same experience here 😂. Never again.

Reactions: Jackalope

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.png
So just realized this. We used to eat these. I think we threw out the stem. Apparently they are poisonous. We always called them elephant ears, book and Internet says false morel. We always assumed certain stink caps were a false morel. There's more people out there that eat them. I no longer will.....anyone else eat elephant ears?