Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzle loader cleaning tips

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As anyone that shoots a muzzle loader knows, they can be pretty picky if not properly cleaned. Hopefully this thread can be informative and we can all gain some ideas on the best care for our muzzle loaders.

Today I learned a new trick. I was having one heckuva time getting the nipple cleaned out. I tried my pick and it didn't do it. I tried a paperclip. Nada. I tried a safety pin. Little better, but not quite. I finally went out to the shop and was planning on trying the air compressor. I walked past my torch and the lightbulb went on! The torch tip cleaning tools worked perfectly! They are inexpensive and come in a kit with a variety of sizes. I started with the smallest one I could fit in there and worked my way up until I had it cleaned out all the way.

Hope this helps someone out. Happy hunting!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That Omega should be following you around like a puppy by now.
You want to suffer, shoot a flintlock. lol

Good idea on the tourch tip cleaning tools.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Bore Butter. I think seasoning a muzzleloader helps alot with cleaning. Especially with running patches between shots.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll second the pipe cleaner and bore butter tips.

I clean my muzzy by filling a sink with hot soapy water... stick the end of the barrel in the water... then run a thick patch on the ramrod in and out of the breech end of the barrel. Suction results and causes the soapy water to be flushed in and out of the barrel. When using triple7, this method pretty much gets the job done without the need for any powder solvents.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My TOP SECRET formula for cleaning black powder.

1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
1/3 Rubbing Alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide

Simple household stuff and I havent bought a cleaning solvent in 20 years ( for my smoke pole)
I swear by it guys!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My TOP SECRET formula for cleaning black powder.

1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
1/3 Rubbing Alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide

Simple household stuff and I havent bought a cleaning solvent in 20 years ( for my smoke pole)
I swear by it guys!

Me TOO! Then I dip my head in it just to see what it does to my hair. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Check the top of the head...thats what it does ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree on the bore butter. However, I am done with bore butter until it is time to clean at the end of the season. For now, I am running the brush down the barrel and using dry patches to clean between shots. I find whenever I use bore cleaning solvent or bore butter, it actually throws it off a bit until I get a couple rounds through it again.