Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader help

NEOhunter

I'm looking for some help in getting my muzzleloader sighted in. I am having a very hard time accomplishing this. I've spent the last two evenings and 40 shots later am not any closer than when I started. I'm getting frustrated and need everyone's help and expertise on this.

I've "sighted-in" several of my other guns but this is getting the best of me. I'm using a lead sled, a table and some weights in the sled to keep it stable.

My process has been as follows:
1. Started at 25 yards and both shots were very close.
2. Went to 50 yards 1st 2 shots were both about 3 inches high and 3 inches to the left of center. Made an adjustment and left to right was perfect and now about 2 inches high.
3. Thought that was close enough so I went to 100 yards and miss the target, try again and am about 5 inches high.
4. Try to make some adjustments and then can't hit the target.
5. Getting frustrated and go back to 25 yards and am like 4 inches high. Adjust and get about an inch high.
6. Go to 50 and can't hit by target.
Called it a night as I am running out of daylight.

What am I doing wrong? Is 15-2- shots too many between cleaning?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I agree, scope malfunction of some sort. Try it without a scope, using open sight at short distance, validating your loads first is probably what I do to confirm the scope has a problem.

Reactions: Big_Holla

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'd agree with the above. Start with the scope first.

-Modern Inline or old school ?
-How often are you swabbing the barrel? ( do you mean shoot twice, clean, shoot twice, clean?)
Type of powder / patch and ball ? ( as in modern type ML powder or black powder?)

Last edited:

OO2

In the Uplands
I’m not sure I understand your 15-2 shoots? Are you cleaning every two shots or every 15?

I like to clean barrel thoroughly each time then a follow up to see how it would hit after being shot once. I found this is only noticeable when using pelleted 777.

NEOhunter

I had a typo in original post I meant 15-20 shots.
I'm shooting 100 grains of loose black powder, it is an Austin & Halleck in-line.
The scope is tight. It is a Sniper brand and is called Adventure Class 3-9x50

Attachments

• muzzleloader 2.jpg
    muzzleloader 2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 153
  • muzzleloader.jpg
    muzzleloader.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 162

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The scope may have something loose internally.
I would suggest swabbing out more frequently as well... I may shoot 1 fowler from a clean barrel then paper or swab after every 2 shots. ( or a quick swab each time...)

A cheap cleaning solution for Black powder:

If you are a true Black powder shooter, the best cleaning solution ever can be made from 3 common house hold items. Its all I've used for years.

1/3 - Murphy's oil soap
1/3 - Hydrogen Peroxide
1/3 - Rubbing alcohol

Hang in there. We know its frustrating.
Hope your back on paper in no time!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Again, I say it's a scope problem.

I just did a little digging on that particular scope of yours, which has a decent review, however I can honestly tell you that I never heard of them before or have any experience with that brand & model.

Just another note: Based on the rifle photo, to me, the scope rail that overshoots the rifle chamber has me question if those are the correct ones for your rifle, or are configured in the correct locations.

Anyhow, I'm willing to put money down that you have a scope problem more than anything else.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I too am leaning toward a scope/mount problem. I clean after every shot to maintain consistency because your first shot at a deer should be after you’ve cleaned and loaded it prior to the hunt. Also, try experimenting with loads....some guns like 90 grains, some 100 or 110....a 10 grain variation can make a huge difference. Also experiment with different type bullets. I tried a bullet (can’t remember the name) but it came with the plastic sabot already built into the bullet. Never found a load to keep them consistent...they were all over the target at every range. Ended up using .45 cal xtp’s with a 50 cal sabot. They were tack drivers but have since switched to a Barnes bullet.

Reactions: hickslawns

NEOhunter

Thanks everyone. I'll do a little more digging and keep trying. I'd love to use it this weekend. I'm not sure if it was the original scope or not. Bought the gun from a friend at work and the scope was on it.

If it is a scope issue, would a Weaver 3-9x50, I have this on my 350 Legend or a Redfield 3-9X50 on a 7mm-08 be able to handle the recoil of the muzzleloader?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like a bad scope to me too. Only other thing I can think of would be how your gun is resting in the sled. The barrel is not touching anything is it?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Had friend that had similar issues with his gun.. Thought it was the scope so he bought a new scope... Didn't help... Looked down his barrel and it was all pitted... So I gotta ask what condition is your barrel.....

Hunter II

Do you have any sabots you can try? "Those bore sized bullets may need be the preferred diameter for that gun.

Reactions: giles