Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My first shed ever... And it's a dandy!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I decided to do a little shed hunting after work today, mostly because I just wanted an excuse to walk through the woods and see what was up. I had planned on walking the swamp through the center of the property like usual, but at the last minute I changed my mind and headed up into the timber. I milled around for 20 minutes or so, eyes glued to the trails... Then, all of a sudden, I looked down to my left and there it is. Holy shit! My first shed find, ever! I was jumping up and down, like a little kid in a toy store with a belly full of Mountain Dew.

ATL...

I looked all over hell for the match to it, but to no evail. It looked like this one had dropped at least a few days ago, so I'd imagine the other side is somewhere in there.

Of course, I had to put the tape to it when I got home. :) Here's how it stacks up...
6 scoreable pts
main beam - 24 7/8
G1 - 7 3/8
G2 - 9 2/8
G3 - 9 4/8
G4 - 7 2/8
ab - 3 1/8
H1 - 4 6/8
H2 - 4 3/8
H3 - 4 3/8
H4 - 4 1/8
Gross score - 79 0/8" :smiley_bril:

I gotta get back in there and find the other side!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great Find jim!
Funny how you can look so hard and then, out of the blue; there one is!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jbrown,

Great job. There's nothin like that Rush one gets when they first spot that shed. Its a rush.

Ill be shed hunting and locating trees to hunt in Ohio this weekend for next fall. My main goal this weekend is to lock in huntable trees into my GPS for next fall. Ill need Plan A, B, C and possbly D. I cant scout much in Ohio..so..this is when i have to get it done. Next fall..Ill be ready to go.

themedic

OHIO
that is an absolute MONSTER! Congrats, now get out there and match it up. If you need help just holla, I'll give you a whole days worth of boot leather and its yours when I find it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honestly surprised that is your first shed. I figured you would have a bunch of them as much time as you are in the outdoors. I am happy for you man. You painted an awesome picture of how you must have looked when you found it! What a dandy of a shed for the first one! I would love to see you with the whole deer in front of you next season!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So where was this deer while u were hunting? No pics or sightings or anything?

This is a new property... just acquired permission during the last week of bow season actually. This shed has really got me amped up for next season already! lol

that is an absolute MONSTER! Congrats, now get out there and match it up. If you need help just holla, I'll give you a whole days worth of boot leather and its yours when I find it

Thanks for the offer, man! I'm going to look hard for the next couple days, but I won't be able to get in there this weekend. Hopefully I can find it... If not, I may be looking for extra sets of eyes to help.

Honestly surprised that is your first shed. I figured you would have a bunch of them as much time as you are in the outdoors. I am happy for you man. You painted an awesome picture of how you must have looked when you found it! What a dandy of a shed for the first one! I would love to see you with the whole deer in front of you next season!

Ha! Tell me about it, brotha! It's just like me and duck/goose bands... I've been waterfowling since I was 14 or 15, killed a few hundred birds I'd say, and I've NEVER killed one that was banded. It's my unicorn. Up until this afternoon, shed antlers were my unicorn of deer hunting. Now that I found the first one, I'm hoping all of the others will start popping out at me!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nice Find Jim......I'm real glad for you and hope you get the other side. Seems that the more I go shed hunting, the easier they seem to stand out. Hopefully this is the start of something big for you now. Good Luck on the other side.