Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My layering options

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I mentioned I would do this on another thread so here I am. I have a blend of good quality products and items I got from my time working for Uncle Sam.

Base-layer - Merino, mainly Icebreaker and definitely merino socks.

If I'm going to be wearing a normal outfit (think early season, most of turkey season, etc) I'm wearing a set of my multi-cam army blouse and pants. I feel multi-cam works well in Ohio during most of the year, and you can't beat the permethrin impregnation either. And it was the right price until I blow them out. During turkey season I have a set of the combat pants that I put knee pads in because I'm more likely to want that added comfort. Under my blouse I'm also likely to wear a windproof icebreaker vest because it truly does ad degrees of comfort on a breezy day.

On my upper body my next layer to wear is a perseverance survival wooby hoody. I like how small I can pack it down and how incredibly warm it is. What I do not like is that the material is "shinier" than my other layers. Not sure if it bothers the wildlife though. I also have my brown fleece jacket from the Army cold weather system that I'll break out as it gets colder and layer with.

My final layer depends on the season and the weather. I may rock out my first lite rain gear, my sitka windproof layer, my sitka blaze orange jacket or a very heavy orange camo jacket I've had for years depending on my needs.

On my head goes from ballcap to boonie cap to stocking caps.

Lower body layers are much more simplistic.
I occasionally will add a fleece pair of pants over my baselayer if its cold and i"m sitting all day with minimal walk in.
Then I have the first lite rain pants which are awesome. Or I have a pair of sitka fanatic bibs if I'm in the treestand. If its going to be really cold in the stand I love my IWOM. Finally for really nasty cold weather when i'm in a blind I have a pair of waterproof and fleece line sitka pants that are really warm but they are gray so not much use in the stand.

I also use a Helikon-Tex swagman roll which is like a wooby on steroids that I almost always throw in my pack because its so versatile and warm for the weight and size. Its really useful for when my kids are hunting with me, they can look down the neck and see their book/tablet but yet their hands and such are hidden by the wooby and its very warm. I dunno if I would have spent the $ on it but I needed it for the basic survival class I took the other year so it is what it is.

Thoughts?
What are your go tos?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Over the years, I've worn everything from hand-me-down long johns and Wal-Mart sweat pants, to Bass Pro and Cabelas, to First Lite and Sitka. I remember putting on cotton tube socks, a bread bag, shitty "wool" socks and stuffing them in uninsulated rubber boots, only to freeze out within an hour on opening morning. One thing I'm sure of is that this is one of those topics where the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is far more true than most. I also hear my dad saying "layer up, you can always take it off" and as a cold weather wimp, I'll have 1-2 more layers than most. But... I rarely get cold any more. Money and technology can keep even my pansy ass comfy these days!

In the early season, I have a mix of UA, Sitka, and First Lite layers that I'll rotate in/out based on the conditions and where I'm hunting.

As things cool down, I have a lightweight Minus 33 wool layer that's my go to when things drop below 50-55. From there, I'll mix in my First Lite Kiln layer and my Cabelas ECWS layer. If it's in the 20s and 30s, I'll layer with the Minus 33, then the Cabelas ECWS, then my First Lite. Seems like a lot, but I maintain full range of motion in my arms, so there's no issue drawing a bow.

Outlayers are based on conditions, but I have the First Lite Corrugate pants and vest that I really like. I just bought their Fanatic hoodie and look forward to putting it to use. I have UA insulated bibs, their classic hoodie, and their wool vest. They're all several years old, but still in great shape and among my favorite pieces of gear. I have 2 different wool sweaters, one is from L.L. Bean and the other is a windproof version from Mack's Prairie Wings. They'll serve as my last layer come November. I almost always wear a vest not matter the weather, which is why I have 2 different ones in the mix.

I typically avoid the rain and will hunt in blinds if necessary. If it is raining, I just wear my Drake 3-in-1 waterfowl jacket to/from the blind.

I only wear a glove on my bow hand and keep a pair of midweight Sitka gloves for that purpose. Amazingly, my hands never get cold for being a wimp 🤷‍♂️

I wear a Carhart toboggan when it's real cold and a lightweight First Lite beanie when it's cool, both over a TOO hat. A good neck gaiter is a must and I use a First Lite version. I also have some cheap versions made for paint ball that I really like.

Socks are from Darn Tough and I have several different versions from lightweight to expedition weight.

During gun season, Carharts to the rescue!

Stressless

Keene, OH
Great info on layering.. but.. all this talk of Woodie's got me to remember a Matt Best - funny. They're on every trip I take, every bed I own, luv's me my woobie :ROFLMAO:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know a guy, that knows some guys and as a result, I stopped contemplating it and pulled the trigger. First Lite Solitude jacket and bibs. Bibs are exactly what I wanted, jacket is a touch bulky for my liking, but I think with some wash and wear, I'll like it. Certainly way warmer than my UA bibs, which will be for sale at Strouds.

20221014_182247.jpg

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I know a guy, that knows some guys and as a result, I stopped contemplating it and pulled the trigger. First Lite Solitude jacket and bibs. Bibs are exactly what I wanted, jacket is a touch bulky for my liking, but I think with some wash and wear, I'll like it. Certainly way warmer than my UA bibs, which will be for sale at Strouds.

View attachment 163780
Bring those hats too

Reactions: bowhunter1023