Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My new boat

Bigcountry40

Just bought my first boat that has ability to go out on Lake Erie. If any TOO member would like to go out on Lake Erie please do not hesitate to ask, open invite to any of my brothers on this forum. 16 foot aluminum, not made for rough days but will get the job done.

426E65B6-FF99-40B5-A159-515A56641622.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome buddy. Welcome to the headache. 😅. I would recommend replacing the impeller, plugs, grease the hubs, and change the lower foot oil at a minimum. If you want to be extra picky replace any cooling and fuel lines and plug wires. Test the kill switch and wear the fucking thing. If it has a bilge pump test it also before you get caught out there on a bad day.

Bigcountry40

Good stuff, Jon! Got a name for it yet?
I'm think about the naming it "The Becker" because of the amount of fish that will be caught on the vessel. Other boats will pull up and see the "The Becker" and turn and leave due to its superior fishing skills. In all seriousness I want to name it something that describes just how ugly, hardworking and practical it is. I wonder if my wife would be offended if I named it after a college ex?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Awesome buddy. Welcome to the headache. 😅. I would recommend replacing the impeller, plugs, grease the hubs, and change the lower foot oil at a minimum. If you want to be extra picky replace any cooling and fuel lines and plug wires. Test the kill switch and wear the fucking thing. If it has a bilge pump test it also before you get caught out there on a bad day.
@Bigcountry40 If it doesn’t have a bilge? Add two!!!! Especially if fishing Erie…. All good information….

If you’re planning on upgrading the trolling motor, look at the minkota ultrex with spot lock. Pricey but you’ll love it and it’ll pay dividends down the road.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You have bigger balls than me. I wouldn't take something that size on Lake Erie. To be fair, I'm the last person you should ever ask about boats. My ignorance combined with some of the stuff I've heard about Lake Erie scare me. I would want a barge to go out on the lake. I guess your boat is safe. Not a chance I'll take it out for a joy ride while you are drinking around the camp fire. 🤣

Reactions: Gern186

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Used to fish a 19dlv Carolina skiff in 3-5s or better in the gulf on a weekly basis in the winter. Two bilges pumps on that boat, a couple batteries and you’ll be just fine

Well yeah, the damn thing basically sits on plane standing still. What's the draft on that, 6 inches? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Well yeah, the damn thing basically sits on plane standing still. What's the draft on that, 6 inches? :ROFLMAO:
By far the most wet boat I’ve ever fished. One of the most worked boats I’ve ever fished too though! Draft is 9” on that boat but with 500-1000lbs of fish and about 200lbs of ice, plus two guys, probably about a foot to 14 inches lol