Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Sons First Bird

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
One of my good friends invited me to bring my son to his farm for the Wisconsin youth turkey hunt to try and get his first bird. We got there Friday night and made sure the gun he was shooting was on. He hit the turkey target really well and he was pretty confident after that. We had some elk burgers for dinner and got some sleep. We woke up to 30+ MPH winds and were thinking our chances were not going to be as good as we hoped. We tried something different because of the wind and the rain that was supposed to come, and hunted from an elevated tower blind. We couldnt hear much gobbling because of the wind but we did see a few hens right away. My friend still was calling pretty aggressively and a gobbler cut him off. We knew we might have a chance even without ideal conditions. Suddenly 2 toms were 60 yards out deciding on whether they were going to commit to the decoys. After a long wait a another call in they came. When they stopped at 35 yards my buddy told Justin to get ready and opened the window. I moved the camera behind him and filmed right over top of him as he shot his first bird and dropped it right there. There was a lot of hugs, high fives and laughing going on. He is going to have a hard time topping his first bird for a while...25 pounds and double beards. Needless to say we were all really excited and I was definitely a proud Dad.

Huckleberry Finn

Wow that is a hell of a bird at 25 pounds!

I've always wondered about going vertical after turkeys but never have tried it.

Ricer2231

Awesome bird! Congrats to you and your son. I remember when I called in my sons first bird, I was prouder then then when I shot my first one. Memories that last a lifetime, that's what it's all about!