Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need snowblower insight/advice

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm looking to purchase a snowblower for my daughter and SIL.
They live in MI, and their house is on top of a hill, with a steep concrete driveway.

I want to get them a 2stage blower, self-propelled, in the $600-$800 range.
I'm liking a Troy-Bilt, and a Cub Cadet. There's a good looking Husqvarna in that range, but I've read some shitty reviews that have turned me off.

Anybody have any expertise/experience/preferences they'd like to share?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I bought one three years ago I think it was, I've used it twice. About ready to sell it just to get it out of my garage

Qback5

Experience with 3 Toros. First one lasted about 30 years-was my dad’s and what I grew up with. He replaced it with a toro and I have my own toro. They are great. Single stage though...it outperforms many two stages.

Reactions: hickslawns

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
24D184E7-13BF-4F6B-A1B7-F1FA6FF79195.jpeg
I’ve had a Jacobson, Toro and this Troybilt. All bought used and all were good machines for what they were designed for. Heavy wet snow or slush will suck with these.
When I fire mine up I do about 1K of sidewalks and 3 driveways. Any normal under 8” of snow it’ll handle it very well.
Mine have all been belt drive and the belt typically last 2 seasons before you notice a decrease in the amount and distance it throws.
Paddle wheel was the first I owned and it cleaned down to bare cement. Auger style will do the same for the most part but imho the paddle cleans better but doesn’t handle the deeper snow as well.
Luckily I have a neighbor who has a husqavarna two stage self propelled that’ll walk you to death, and throws everything but the kitchen sink. It’s a wide one and it’s a tank.

4 stroke vs 2 strokes. Get the 4. I’ll never own another 2 stroke snowblower. Those 4 strokes start easier and run longer with less issues from my Experience.

I’ve never owned or ran a Honda. But from what I’ve seen of the Honda products, they’re quality and worth a look at.

I’m no professional when it comes to snow removal just been doing it for 40+ years with shovels and snowblowers and plows. Phil would know way more from his experience than I. But I do like the snowblower machines. Simple and efficient.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We use Toro single stage blowers. As stated already- they are great unless wet and heavy snow or too deep.

Two stage? Not much experience with them so I'm listening from the side lines

Reactions: Qback5

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My experience with 2 stage is, if you’re prone too a good amount of snow, get it. It’ll toss it pretty good and over the snow mounds that we typically get. We had those at work for years until we upgraded to Kabota RT900’s with plows.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My experience with 2 stage is, if you’re prone too a good amount of snow, get it. It’ll toss it pretty good and over the snow mounds that we typically get. We had those at work for years until we upgraded to Kabota RT900’s with plows.

Correct. In wet, sloppy snow I don't think any of them are great. Deeper snow the two stage rocks. If the majority of snow is 8" or less I would say a single stage is a pretty good all around piece of equipment.

Reactions: "J"

Floki

Don’t have any experience whatsoever ever with snowblowers. What I do have experience in is a long driveway. I don’t shovel. Occasionally I will put some salt down.

What I’ve found is, If you don’t got 4 wheel drive ya don’t get up. That equates to, buddies and beer.

I hate not seeing mother n law,father in-law,Mom, sister, brother, wife’s friends all winter. It’s rough. But the drive way is so damn long. Not even a snowblower would help me.

Good luck.

Reactions: Dustinb80 and 5Cent

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Don’t have any experience whatsoever ever with snowblowers. What I do have experience in is a long driveway. I don’t shovel. Occasionally I will put some salt down.

What I’ve found is, If you don’t got 4 wheel drive ya don’t get up. That equates to, buddies and beer.

I hate not seeing mother n law,father in-law,Mom, sister, brother, wife’s friends all winter. It’s rough. But the drive way is so damn long. Not even a snowblower would help me.

Good luck.
Sounds like you need a small tractor!😊

Reactions: Floki