Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Farm w/ No Name - Habitat Projects

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All these years of blood, sweat, money, and projects and I've scattered the results all over this forum like I'm sowing seed! Well, today I witnessed something 13 years in the making and it got me thinking about starting a thread dedicated to all the various things I have planned for not only this year, but the years to come. Last week Tracie and I had a good talk about what to do with our bodies when we pass and I plan to be cremated and spread in my big food plot. She agreed that if she goes first, we'll go into the plot together. So the plan is to still be planting food plots on the farm in 40 years and the Big Plot will have been going for 50+ years by then.

So what did I see? This. After 13 years, the front field will finally be planted in crops! If it's beans, I'll take it, but corn here is a massive game changer. This adds about 3.5 acres of food to our place and with it being corn, it will really add to our available cover and will help draw deer to the southern end of the farm.

20180326_153642.jpg

This is the future of the No Name Farms and she helped spread lime and fertilizer on the Big Plot today.

20180326_150546.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's awesome bud. Your ass needs to be in that field tomorrow looking for injun artifacts. A filed that hasn't been turned like that in decades is gold for artifacts.

Reactions: Spencie

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will take a few pics next time I'm at the farm, but I started a new mineral site this year and so far, I am wondering what took so long to put it here! If you triangulated the center of our place, it would fall damn near on top of the new site. When I checked on it Saturday, there were plenty of tracks all through it, so it's off to a good start. I'll go into more detail about placement when I have a few pics to share. It really should be a great site for years to come.

I did snap a pic of the Runway Plot while I was out there over the weekend. I had to use the leaf blower to remove all the leaves a few weeks ago when I added fertilizer and frost seeded, but it looks fantastic right now! I'm going to be adjusting the 2-man ladder stand I have here in the next few weeks to take better advantage of shooting into the plot. K is not too far from hunting and I see this as a spot she can get a nice broadside shot of a deer eating it's final meal!

20180421_121823.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, false alarm on the corn in the front field. After seeing what discing that field did to the pond, both dad and the farmer agreed it was best to have that field in hay due to the sediment/erosion above the pond turning it to chocolate milk. So the farmer limed, fertilized and planted alfalfa. That field has always been a poachers dream. Still is...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd need something that grew 10'+ in most places due to the road bank, more like 20' in a couple of places. Plus, dad would never go for that approach! LOL It is what it is until someone lives there full time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This rain sucks. Can't get the tractor down to the creeks to mow, so my plots look like hell. The flip side to that is the farm is covered in cover. It's the thickest its ever been in places and if I had to guess, there's been a 50% increase in bedding cover in the last 2 years and a 100% increase since 2008. Not sure what projects I'll undertake habitat wise this year with all that's on my plate, but just doing nothing is doing something positive out there. It's a nice bit of perspective from someone that spent dozens of hours ever summer on habitat work that really never paid off. We shall see what this fall has to say about my lack of effort this summer!