Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non-cell camera

P8riot

Carbon, In
What is a decent non-cell camera? I will be posting these up around my property so I have no need for the cell option...and I hate monthly charges! I'm green to cameras so I'm looking for a good starting point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Chevy Ford Dodge. Same debate. They all have their plus and minus. I have had decent luck with the Bushnell Trophy cams. Early on had many issues. They warrantied pretty good and I kept buying them. Haven't had issues lately (knock on wood). Some of mine are in the 5-10yr old range.

Reactions: P8riot

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve had MANY Bushnell trophy cams but they seem to break right after the warranty is up (2 years). I’ve gone through about a dozen. I’ve got a couple that are still out in the field that just went over two years, so we shall see. I’ve got two browning cams that are both over 6 years old and are going strong. Also have two Covert cams that are 3-4 years old. If you get a good camera (not one from Walmart for $40) make sure to get a security box. Camlockbox.com has a box for just about every model out there. I’ve found cameras in the $80-120 range are built pretty well and take good pics.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
My set it and forget solid hard working soakers that never fail:

20200719_145300.jpg

These have been really good, and super cheap, trail cameras for me, that are easy to throw in a backpack and hang in a tree on the fly. I use these cameras to help narrow down specific deer. They provide all the information I'm lookin for and they just work, never failing. They do throw a glow though, but I hang them up into a tree about 10-15' and they do work great for that purpose for me. When in the trees, they do not disturb the deer nearly as much, and perhaps the deer believe they're flashes of lighting, IDK really, but they work for me perfectly. Below is the last time I used one, which was this hunting season @theotherfarm.

20220427_153706.jpg

20220427_153904.jpg

Here's another from a couple of seasons ago, probably the first full year of using the crap out of these two cameras. More are available of the same from the other farm are within the same playlist. Enjoy!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX-1JMYXAH9OAT8gR6nFbpGntR_Aqn4_f

Check your volume on your listening device because this one rocks, and one of my favorites.

There are several examples of these cameras working at extreme levels with the setup configuration I set for just photos, does vids as well btw too, and both were purchased a couple of years ago work just fine today. I typically use them in the field no more than a few months at a time. I like them for less than 25 bucks mailed to my home.

For further information, like where I purchased them, you can check out the post that I shared within the hunt journal of mine, just click this numbered hyperlink below and it should get you there.

Good luck!

The cheaper the better for me for these types of cameras for the types of purposes that I use them for. I never worry if they grow legs too cause they are super cheap. Just one more thing. I have extensively studied the trail cameras I've used since I bought my first one in 2015. Never used them before because I just didn't need them, however nowadays I completely enjoy them. From my experience, all trail camera makes, brands and models, from the very expensive down to the real ol-cheapolla. do impact or effect the deer and one can minimize those issues some by going the extra lengths of trying to better conceal them and making them scent & noise free.

8:30AM EDIT:

I just noticed that the website link provided within my 2021 hunt journal is no longer available, sorry about that, but the retailer is a good one to have bookmarked, imo. If at all interested in this particular camera, try to do a google search for one then. That's what I'll end up doing myself if, or when I ever have to replace one, which I'm still waiting on that to happen.

If you have the time, you can review some more examples, such as any of my BLP (pine licking branch) videos on my YouTube channel. Most of those videos are from images taken from either one of the two Simmons trail cameras that I own and love actually.

I really am impressed with them compared to all the other well name brands that I have used, and failed me.

Anyway, this make, model and brand of trail camera actually exceeded my prior expectations no question about it. I was never easy on these cameras either, because I basically tossed them into either my backpack, while hiking w/ the Lonewolf climber that I use when heading out, or inside a toboggan sled with all the other gear and items needed when I go to a new hunting location and do another setup or somethin.

Again, good luck to you!

Last edited:
I used to be a fan of Covert but the new cameras aren't worth it. That said I've got several that are well over 10 years old still taking pictures today. We have a Moultrie going (not sure what model) that works great but the picture quality has sucked from day one. Will be interesting to see what others have to say on other brands and models.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have been using these alot with no issues and they take good pictures. Vance outdoors usually has a package deal with cable lock, batteries and card for $80. I have some that have been out for 7 years with no issues. Plus for the price you arent out alot of money if something goes wrong with it or stolen. I own alot of them and they do what i need em to do. I prefer the blackout versions.
Screenshot_20221220_145943_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221220_134800_USB Media Explorer.jpg
Screenshot_20221205_150757_USB Media Explorer.jpg
Screenshot_20221123_130107_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230117_085741_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny44

I've had a few brands over the years, none more reliable than a Moultrie. I set it on video mode. Even on video mode, only replace batteries at the beginning of the year. Had them pushing 8 years. Love 'em. I quit trying other brands after I got these two. Can't speak to Browning as others are.

Edit: I've never spent more than $80. Search high and low for deals. If I spent $100+ and they went missing, I'd be devastated.

Reactions: P8riot and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Things to consider are price, quality of photo desired ( do you need to count hairs on a deers head or just see what's roaming around ) , black flash or low glow flash ( I prefer black flash ), trigger speed ( if on a bait pile really doesn't matter ), what's the chance of them growing legs ( stolen )... Sucks to have a $100+ camera stolen.. That being said, Browning makes great cameras but can be a little pricey... For the money Wildgame makes a great budget camera... I'm going to pick up some Muddy cams to put out for bears in March... Never tried them so what the hell...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Of all the non cell cameras I ever had, I think the best one was a Primos truth cam that was cheap.. Took fantastic pics till a bear decided to chew it up... Here's a pic, look how vibrant the colors are and the detail of the stitching in my pants..

Attachments

• 11130003.JPG
    11130003.JPG
    661 KB · Views: 71

P8riot

Carbon, In
Of all the non cell cameras I ever had, I think the best one was a Primos truth cam that was cheap.. Took fantastic pics till a bear decided to chew it up... Here's a pic, look how vibrant the colors are and the detail of the stitching in my pants..
I can even see that "stain" on your jeans! 🤣

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I’ve spent my fair share on stand alone cameras over the years, and I hate to admit the best luck I’ve had is with the super cheap WildViews. I’m not sure the model, but you can get them on sale for around $30. I’m on my 3rd year with 2 of them, and knock on wood no complaints. Even if i got 1 season out of it I’d consider it money well spent, plus if someone decides to steal it I’m only out a case and a half of beer lol

Reactions: P8riot and Fletch

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I know some people that buy the tasco cams that Walmart sells for 30$ and they swear by them. Small and cheap w good battery life. Had good luck w Bushnell years ago but they phased out after a year or two. Bought some Browning’s and the cheap ones are still working to this day. The more expensive ones that were smaller, I think 1 out of 3 is still in service.

oh one set of batteries last a whole year most times in my Browning’s.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and P8riot