Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

November rut vacations?

41davisrd

Just wondering what everybodies thoughts were on when they were going to take their vacations for the rut? You always hear them on tv saying in the midwest you have to be in the woods late october thru the first wk of november. My experience the last 5 yrs or so it is still in the low to mid 70's or even warmer those days with almost no movement at all! My best hunting has always been when the temps are in the high 40's and you get that buck movement from 10-2 and if you got to cold or hungry when you would leave you would almost hit several deer going into town due to chasing or there would be car deer accidents. Nomatter what the moon people say anymore it doesnt get cold enough for any daylight movement untill Nov.12th on so that is why im considering that wk. As much as i hate to admit it the tree hugging left wing liberals might be right about global warming.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am a fan of the first week of November . The 3-5 are hot days for me. I have shot more big deer those few days than all other days combined by far. In fact now that I think I have only shot 4 big deer outside those dates. I just find that later bucks lock down, at least big ones, and you are stuck in the tree watching 1.5 olds and button bucks and hoping a bto catch a big buck between does or have a doe lead one by you. Unfortunately when a doe is really hot she and here loverboy tend to find a out of the way spot and hole up and not move..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with Jake... The first week of November is usually a hot one where I hunt. You can't control the weather. If it's nice and cool during that first week, look out 'cause the action will be intense!

Huckleberry Finn

I'll have the 12th off bc its Veteran's Day. I'll probably plan on some long weekends/early exits whenever the weather gets perfect.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have just 4 seasons under my belt, but what I have seen and thru trail camera pictures I know when I will be out the most. Nov 6-12 seems to be the days I have more mature bucks on their feet on trail cameras.

41davisrd

My best times to hunt from 07' and later was always nov6th-10th with temps high around 48 degres i seen plenty of buck movement from 10-2 and could always call em in. Now seems like it isnt that cold until atleast the 12th. Maybe this yr might be differnt. But i plan on taking the wk of the 12th off in nov. Anymore i put most of my attention and effort into the first wk of season while they are still on their summer feeding pattern.Killed a 164 10pt. last yr on my 26 acre farm in northern adams county.

41davisrd

Do you guys really have that much luck at seeing bucks cruzin in midday or calling them in by rattling or see chasing when it is 70 degres or warmer?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In the latest Deer and Deer Hunting mag they have Alsheimer's predictions. Here is the chart breakdown. Let me know if you can see it. I'll sum it up for ya if needed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344194331.214583.jpg

41davisrd

I used to go by that about 5 yrs ago, i thought it worked great and i also went by the moon but these last few yrs i dont have the frosty covered mornings due to temps being in the twenties or low thirties and then have an average high of in the 40's. Now by 11 in the morning it 65 0r 70 and all i see is squirlls so i head back to camp with a t-shirt and shorts on and wait till 3 or so and get back in the tree with a camo t-shirt on and dont see nothin till 10 min. before dark. I never here any of my friends seeing any chasing till the temps cool down to at least 60. Im glad you guys have luck when its 70 cause i sure dont.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to go by that about 5 yrs ago, i thought it worked great and i also went by the moon but these last few yrs i dont have the frosty covered mornings due to temps being in the twenties or low thirties and then have an average high of in the 40's. Now by 11 in the morning it 65 0r 70 and all i see is squirlls so i head back to camp with a t-shirt and shorts on and wait till 3 or so and get back in the tree with a camo t-shirt on and dont see nothin till 10 min. before dark. I never here any of my friends seeing any chasing till the temps cool down to at least 60. Im glad you guys have luck when its 70 cause i sure dont.

I don't usually see much movement when the daytime temps are 70 degrees... But it's not ALWAYS 70 degrees during the first week of November. I can remember plenty of years where that first week was nice and cool, then we'd get a warm-up during the second or third week. The weather is different every year. IMO, the peak of seeking and chasing phases always occur within the first couple weeks of November, even when it's 70 or 80 degrees. The reason for lack of deer movement is because they chase at night when it's that hot.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
You guys have fun hunting during the rut. I plan on being done...lol... Seriously though, from my observations the best time to hunt is every night you can.

41davisrd

I will be hunting the 10th and 11th sat and sun and if the weather is cold enough I will call off work the 8th and 9th so I should have 11 days in a row to get it done. Hopefully I can be as lucky as you guys and see some good action early. I will keep you posted in november. Should be good this yr the farmers around here are already taken the corn in.