Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NV...How cheap can I go?

Smawgunner

Athens
Looking for a night vision scope that I can mount on my AR on the cheap. But the damn thing has to work well enough I don't want to throw it off a bridge. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? I have an Aimpoint with NV settings that I could pair with an NV monocular if needed.

You can't go wrong with a Sightmark for a brand and I purchased the Wraith. It came out right after the first of this year and has been so popular that it's hard to find. It has daytime capability, 2 nighttime modes, digital zoom, video, etc. and the only drawback is it's heavy...at just over 2 lbs. At $499, you won't find a NV scope for less money with these features and quality. The only other complaint I've heard about the Wraith (other than weight) is the small field of view. I didn't think it was bad, but have heard others mention it.
If you can't find the Wraith, look at the Photon RT 4.2x42S, it's $50 more, lighter weight, but has no daytime capability. (Make sure you get the "S" model.)

I don't recommend any offerings from ATN. It's not that they don't make a good NV scope, but they try to stuff too many features into their scopes and it causes them to "crash". Sending them back has been a nightmare for several guys with 2 to 4 months waiting time. Their customer service has a bad reputation. :rolleyes:

I was on the Coyote Hunters section of FB (it's a private group, that has to be joined) and messaged a guy by the name of Todd Gillispie. He is the owner of Todd's Sporting Goods in Proctorville, Ohio. It's over a 3 1/2 hour drive from Lima to Proctorville, so he shipped it for $10. Sent it out on Tuesday and it was here on Thursday.(y) 740-886-2666 is the TSG number.

Here's a thought: I put this purchase on an interest free CC. :unsure: Low payments make it very affordable.
My plans are to purchase a hand held thermal viewer, next year. :cool:

Attachments

• Savage Wraith.jpg
    Savage Wraith.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 445

Smawgunner

Athens
You can't go wrong with a Sightmark for a brand and I purchased the Wraith. It came out right after the first of this year and has been so popular that it's hard to find. It has daytime capability, 2 nighttime modes, digital zoom, video, etc. and the only drawback is it's heavy...at just over 2 lbs. At $499, you won't find a NV scope for less money with these features and quality. The only other complaint I've heard about the Wraith (other than weight) is the small field of view. I didn't think it was bad, but have heard others mention it.
If you can't find the Wraith, look at the Photon RT 4.2x42S, it's $50 more, lighter weight, but has no daytime capability. (Make sure you get the "S" model.)

I don't recommend any offerings from ATN. It's not that they don't make a good NV scope, but they try to stuff too many features into their scopes and it causes them to "crash". Sending them back has been a nightmare for several guys with 2 to 4 months waiting time. Their customer service has a bad reputation. :rolleyes:

I was on the Coyote Hunters section of FB (it's a private group, that has to be joined) and messaged a guy by the name of Todd Gillispie. He is the owner of Todd's Sporting Goods in Proctorville, Ohio. It's over a 3 1/2 hour drive from Lima to Proctorville, so he shipped it for $10. Sent it out on Tuesday and it was here on Thursday.(y) 740-886-2666 is the TSG number.

Here's a thought: I put this purchase on an interest free CC. :unsure: Low payments make it very affordable.
My plans are to purchase a hand held thermal viewer, next year. :cool:
Great info, appreciate it!

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Chass

The Hills
If you're down in south eastern Ohio I'd hit up Branch Ousley, him and his brother dominate the dogs. He would be able to let you know if your price point is going to make you rip your hair out or not. You might be able to meet up with him since hes not too far down the road from you and get your hands on some equipment before you buy.

ray12

I'm not familiar with a ton of the cheaper options out there but this is what I do know from my personal experience, ran the ATN X-sight2 for approx. 3 years and killed many coyotes with that setup.. Never had a single problem with that scope & I still run it on my back-up rifle...

Id recommend checking out what ATN has to offer, Not saying they're bullet proof but I have not regretted the $600.00 I dropped back in the day!

I also know the Wraith that was mentioned above seems to have a solid reputation for being in that price range!
You'll definitely wanna upgrade to an after market IR light if you want to maximize your scopes potential!

Best of luck & happy Hunting!

Reactions: Smawgunner