Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

News Ohio Gas Tax Increase

Gern186

Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ohio is currently much lower than surrounding states Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. The increase would make the tax more comparable to those states. Infrastructure is one tax I dont mind paying for as long as the funds are being used directly for that purpose. Roads and bridges are always in need of repair. And we all use them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Super Mod
Supporting Member
Ohio is currently much lower than surrounding states Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. The increase would make the tax more comparable to those states. Infrastructure is one tax I dont mind paying for as long as the funds are being used directly for that purpose. Roads and bridges are always in need of repair. And we all use them.
That increase wouldn't make us comparable, it would make us considerably higher and the third highest in the nation. More tax = better xyz, such is the fallacy they want you to believe. What happened to the current funds earmarked for road improvement such as vehicle registration fees, vehicle sales tax, road or usage tax on commercial vehicles. Will those tax rates decrease? Why can other states do the same for much less? What's been done to eliminate waste such as contractors getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to have 9 people leaning on shovels while 3 work on a road project they drag out for 3 years? Or is this just another way to fleece the citizenry rather than fix the problem. Ohio is already 11th in the nation for overall tax burden, how do the other 39 states do it cheaper?

"J"

Dustin’s FORMER fishing coach
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Ohio roads are shitty. Pa roads are shittier. SC roads are shitty for southern roads.
What southern roads lack in pot holes more than make up for in lack of preparation for urban sprawl.
Until Ohio rethinks it’s road infrastructure they’ll just keep putting bandaids over the problem. They never seem to have the money too do them right, but always have the money too do them wrong....

There’s always wasted money...a friend of mine works for the Atlantic City expressways road department. He says they get a certain amount of money from the tolls they collect for road upgrades...if they don’t use it, they lose it. A lot of unnecessary work being done. They can’t use the money on other state roads that need it...they can only use it on the expressway.

It's always been a relief to get over the border into Ohio and see the gas prices drop by 20-30 cents. Last time down we noticed the prices were very similar if not more expensive. Sucks to pay so much in taxes in Michigan and see them not do a damn thing with them. Hope you guys have people that do what they say with it if you do get the increase.

"J"

Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Spent the last month south/southwest of Ohio. Average gas price from Arizona too Florida was $1.95 until we got too WV. $2.35 after seeing the tax, now it makes sense. Their roads were on average in better condition then Ohio’s

Gern186

Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Warmer climate also has a lot to do with the condition of roads and bridges and how long they last. Freeze thaw cycles and the use of salt and the amount used greatly impacts the lifespan and conditions of roads and bridges. Northern states are obviously subjected to more harsh conditions than southern states. Its easy to point the finger and say this state has better roads than that state...but in reality the climate in each state has a lot to do with conditions of roadways and bridges.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
I've always felt Michigan and Indiana roads were horrible. If they get less money for road taxes it makes sense.

On another subject: Screw Dewine. Weenie move. Career politician. He is not to be trusted anymore than the rest of them. I listened to him speak last year at the OBBC award banquet. Then I listened to him on the same subject at a different venue. He speaks to the crowd he is addressing. He is a liar.

"J"

Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Warmer climate also has a lot to do with the condition of roads and bridges and how long they last. Freeze thaw cycles and the use of salt and the amount used greatly impacts the lifespan and conditions of roads and bridges. Northern states are obviously subjected to more harsh conditions than southern states. Its easy to point the finger and say this state has better roads than that state...but in reality the climate in each state has a lot to do with conditions of roadways and bridges.
I agree with you too an extent.... This day and age with the engineering and science they should be able too replace a road and not touch it for 30+ years....

Gern186

Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
This day and age there should be a cure for cancer and many other diseases but it still hasnt happened. Ive worked in the transportation field for 26 years. There are definitely innovations that have been made in road and bridge design. But it comes with a cost. You cant expect to put down 2 inches of asphalt on a roadway and expect it to last 30 years. I inspect bridges every day that have been in service for 80 to 90 years. Also look at new ones that will last 100 more years. The technology is here today. The cost of projects and labor and materials go up just like every other product in today's world.

"J"

Supporting Member
Columbiana County
This day and age there should be a cure for cancer and many other diseases but it still hasnt happened. Ive worked in the transportation field for 26 years. There are definitely innovations that have been made in road and bridge design. But it comes with a cost. You cant expect to put down 2 inches of asphalt on a roadway and expect it to last 30 years. I inspect bridges every day that have been in service for 80 to 90 years. Also look at new ones that will last 100 more years. The technology is here today. The cost of projects and labor and materials go up just like every other product in today's world.
Then why do we keep laying down 2” layers every other year? When you could redo it all with new base and drainage and be done with it for the next 30 years?
Buy once cry once.....

"J"

Supporting Member
Columbiana County
The base and drainage are separate items from the surface course. The surface course takes all of the abuse. Therefore it has to be replaced occasionally.
When the same sections of a road have the same issues time and time again, maybe that 2” layer hold be looked at further. We have complete roads (county) that need replaced every other year. We’ve had state routes that have the same issues. When you have water seepin* out of cracks in a road surface, something other than a recoat is warranted.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Maybe your governor recently had lunch with Denture Man... We just got or are getting a "Rain Tax"... Don't ask me what that is...