Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OHIO LANDOWNER/HUNTER ACCESS PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM

Hunter II

This could be a great program if they can get the landowners on board. I've never seen the daily permit requirement before in other states.

DAILY OLHAP PERMITS​

Anyone wishing to access an OLHAP property must first obtain a free daily OLHAP Permit.
A check-in system to obtain OLHAP permits will be available from September 1, 2021 — June 1, 2022.
  • Permits are valid only from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on the date listed on the permit.
  • Available dates for OLHAP permits are between September 1 and June 1. Available dates can be accessed using a “check-in” system starting on September 1.
  • OLHAP permits cannot be obtained earlier than 12:01 a.m. the day the hunter wishes to use a particular property.
  • Only individuals with a valid OLHAP Permit issued in their name are granted access to the property. Anyone accompanying an OLHAP Permit holder must also have an OLHAP Permit issued in their name, even if they are not hunting.

Last edited:

whitetailjunky3

My question is how many people will loose sole permission to a place now that money is offered to landowners to let anyone hunt. To me I think it’s a double edge knife. Will be great for some and terrible for others. Just my opinion tho.

Reactions: Mike and hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They tried this as a volunteer program about a decade ago and had like 40k hunters and only 30 landowners signup. 😅. Hope it works out better for them this time since they paying landowners, which I don't understand. Just make it a requirement to get access to damage permits or DMAP.

Reactions: Mike and giles

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I wouldn't worry about the super lucky guys with solitary access to honey holes, @whitetailjunky3 . Landowners can command quite a bit of money from leases if they want and they get to choose who hunts and customize the deal that way. This way, they get paid to provide an open door to anyone with a permit. If I were a landowner, and I needed money, I would go the lease route.

whitetailjunky3

I wouldn't worry about the super lucky guys with solitary access to honey holes, @whitetailjunky3 . Landowners can command quite a bit of money from leases if they want and they get to choose who hunts and customize the deal that way. This way, they get paid to provide an open door to anyone with a permit. If I were a landowner, and I needed money, I would go the lease route.
Good point I forgot about leasing. It’s hard to get permission around where I live and we have no close public land. That’s why I was thinking the way I was. Hopefully it helps with trespassing given more people permission.

Reactions: Tipmoose

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep in mind there may be more to this than just hunting access. Fishing, birdwatching, kayaking, etc… all potential access opportunities for people other than hunters. I don’t have high expectations for this program either, but it might surprise us. As a landowner myself, I’m at least going to explore what my potential options are. If I can get paid to let people walk around and birdwatch in the spring, for a limited amount of time when I’m not really using the property anyway, I might jump on that if the price is right.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Keep in mind there may be more to this than just hunting access. Fishing, birdwatching, kayaking, etc… all potential access opportunities for people other than hunters. I don’t have high expectations for this program either, but it might surprise us. As a landowner myself, I’m at least going to explore what my potential options are. If I can get paid to let people walk around and birdwatch in the spring, for a limited amount of time when I’m not really using the property anyway, I might jump on that if the price is right.

I would apply. I love birdwatching in the spring. Especially when they bust a strut and the gun goes off. 😅👍

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would apply. I love birdwatching in the spring. Especially when they bust a strut and the gun goes off. 😅👍
I like bird watching better after their antlers have fallen off. Some guys like bird watching during mushroom season. Point being: Better specify what is allowed and what is not.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welp… I was wrong. Looks like it is just for hunting access only. This new program will likely flop just like previous attempts.