Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Okie From Muskogee

angelzd28

Which is what ill be in less then 48 hrs. My moms side of the family is from OK, so ill be heading out there and hopefully making my heritage proud, lol. Myself and my 2 younger brothers are headed out for a weeks worth of camping and hopefully tag filling. Originally it was just gonna be me and my dad, but my brothers committed a couple months ago and my dad had to drop out, last minute. My 2 brothers are new to bow hunting so it should be interesting to say the least, lol. We'll be hitting Hulah Lake WMA which sits in north central Ok and borders KS. Ill keep everyone updated , here's to a great trip!

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Which is what ill be in less then 48 hrs. My moms side of the family is from OK, so ill be heading out there and hopefully making my heritage proud, lol. Myself and my 2 younger brothers are headed out for a weeks worth of camping and hopefully tag filling. Originally it was just gonna be me and my dad, but my brothers committed a couple months ago and my dad had to drop out, last minute. My 2 brothers are new to bow hunting so it should be interesting to say the least, lol. We'll be hitting Hulah Lake WMA which sits in north central Ok and borders KS. Ill keep everyone updated , here's to a great trip!
Enjoy. If you ever want to hit some spots in OK with a fellow TOOzer ket me know.

Hunted between Hulah and Kaw lake last spring for Turkey its a nice area. Of all the WMA we hit I can't say it was top for deer sightings but it is nice habitat. If you have the chance to go west let me know I can send you a few of the WMA's where I saw lots of deer. It was spring so not sure on quality of bucks but I will say for being public a few of them were just loaded.

angelzd28

Hunted between Hulah and Kaw lake last spring for Turkey its a nice area. Of all the WMA we hit I can't say it was top for deer sightings but it is nice habitat. If you have the chance to go west let me know I can send you a few of the WMA's where I saw lots of deer. It was spring so not sure on quality of bucks but I will say for being public a few of them were just loaded.
Nice, was it mostly bottomlands habitat or was there much elevation? Looks to be pretty flat from looking at a map.

angelzd28

We made it back from Ok last Saturday. Had a blast with my 2 younger brothers one of which killed his first buck with a bow, sorry no nut shots, his balls were underdeveloped, lol. All in had a great time. The deer hunting the first 4 days was HARD, we had 80 degree temps on Nov. 8th!! Little to no deer movement except a couple does. Thursday the temps dropped to 40 and saw 7 deer in the morning when, out of the river bottom a 2.5? Yr old 10 popped out and ran to my left and stood broad side at 38yds. I pulled back and let one fly. I hit him back, but he was pouring blood as he ran 100yds. It was pretty open in the bottom and he dropped......only to lay there for an hr with his head up. Now my thought was do I get down and try to put another arrow in him or let him bleed out, I thought probably hit liver, ill just let him go. At 1.5 hrs, he got up and limped out of sight, so i got down went back to camp and came back 5 hrs later. I followed the blood trail to where he bedded down and there was gobs of dark red blood to where i saw him. Found my arrow that while didnt get complete pass through it penetrated 3/4 of the arrow. Found the bed with tons of blood, but when I started tracking him where I lost sight, i only found 2 specks of blood. Long story short, i looked the rest of the day and the next putting in over 6 hrs, along with my 2 brothers, and no recovery! Makes me sick. Not sure what to make of it, should i have gotten down and tried a follow up shot. If it was fatal I feel he would have bedded down farther along, but we couldn't find him. Either way we had fun and learned a lot, I would definitely go back to that area, as the sign was there, but the temps made it difficult most of the week. My one brother had a 150 class buck run past him that same day, but couldn't get a shot. All in all had a great time, other then my fuck up.

angelzd28

20211109_141106.jpg20211109_112324.jpg20211111_134615.jpg20211107_205712.jpg20211106_102711.jpg20211106_083402.jpg