Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Older than he looks

Creamer

Athens
This is a strange buck, to me. Been getting pics of him since my first year hunting this property, and he very narrowly skirted me last year. I've seen him just twice in the stand. If you didn't see the older pics, I don't think you'd ever guess this deer was older. Chronologically, here's some photos of him from the last four years.

He never put on much mass, and I've never thought his body looked all that big. There isn't much nutrition in that area (crop fields, plots, stuff like that) so maybe that's why he's never looked that old or mature to me.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very strange. Goes to show age is just 1/3 of the equation. If the other 2/3rds is bottom barrel, it negates the other 1/3. Still a cool science project and a reminder that sometimes another year just means prolonged agony.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
A friend of mine killed a buck last week that was very similar. Minimum 6.5 year old buck, but this one did have a fairly large body, but antler characteristics you'd never guess was a buck that age. Not great mass, and was a main frame 3x3 until last year. The last two years he was a mediocre sized 4x4, but still a trophy in regards to age.