Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

One good minute really can change your whole season!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had set my sights on one of two deer this year. A fat and wide 10 pt. and a Really tall 12. The 10 pt. relocated to where Glenna is hunting, so the decision was made in my favor. I honestly had taken a unique liking to the 12 as he shed first of our shooters.
The second time I set in my stand this year I seen him coming from about 80 yds. Sun shining on that rack got my heart a pumping good. I was all ready for the shot at 50 yds.~~all I needed was one more step from behind the bush! He turned slight right and disappeared into the thicket! Waited another hour and nothing!
I hunted that stand 2 more times with nothing much going on.
Nov 2 the wind was fair for my stand, so I went in stealth-mode. Took my time and got in as quiet as possible. (Sure glad I did too!) I was in the stand about 30-40 minutes when I posted this:
thumbnail (3).jpg

They were there about 5 minutes and traveled on past. They were to my left about 60 yds but still in the area Thank God. I looked over my right shoulder and heard a stick break...that's when I seen a head and horns appear to stand up about 40 yds to my right. (He could have jumped a snag and broke a stick I imagine). He angled slightly towards where the does were but away from me and appeared to be on a mission. He stopped at 25 yds but there was brush in the way. When he got to my 45 yd marker, he just kept going! 3 steps later, he seen the does and stopped at the 48 yd spot. By then I was on his back rib and pulled the trigger. Heard the "hollow thump" we all know so well and watched him go about 20 yds and stop. His ass-end wobbled a bit and he took off to the east. Sat in the stand for 30 minutes and let a few people know there was a good possibility the target was down. (Yes I was shakin like a scolded dog!)
When I got to my arrow, it was covered from front to back with thick dark blood and bubbles too! I found plenty of rustled leaves but very little blood. Went to last spotting and stooped down to see the leaf patterns on the ground....There was white up ahead and I was honestly too nervous to move on. (No bow at this point). He had only gone about 40 yds max. When I seen the kicker I knew for sure it was him! Even after 43 years hunting, I got cold-chills and emotions I didn't expect. He won the first round....but them girls got him in round two. One Good Minute REALLY CAN Change your whole season. Special Thanks To Everyone Of You For Helping Make This So Special! I Wish You All The Best Of Luck!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Congrats on the great buck of yours! Well done!

Very true statement, and I can only imaging having that feeling once again at this point, but can bet, I'm still working on it.

Congratulations again, Rick!

Reactions: xbowguy