Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Onions/Maters/Peppers - Need some advice...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of my goals in life is to make the finest hot pepper mustards, relishes, and sauces, along with salsas, taht you have ever tasted. There are few things I love in life than hot pepper relish, cheese, and deer sausage. In the past few years, I have caught the bug and I want to learn how to grow the ingredients, and then make a fine finished product. My hopes were to have a nice garden this year, but coaching baseball got in the way of that. So what I would like to do is use some of the planters I currently have to grow some onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, and a few other things. There is a world of knowledge on the web about this entire process, but I'd like to hear what the TOO community has to say about anything pertaining to this personal quest. The goal this year is to grow enough to try a couple batches of my own salsa and a couple batches of hot pepper relish/mustard.

All tips, tricks, suggestions, recipes, etc. are welcome!!!

Gordo

Athens County
Great idea. Wish i could help ya, but i dont know shit.

One guy i know started doing that with hot sauces, and turned it into a great side business. 'smokin jays' hot sauces, outta asheville, NC. Fuggin hippy. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's pretty cool Jesse. Ron and his neighbor made some salsa and hot mustard last year that was pretty dang good! Maybe he'll chime in.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like Gordo I work with a guy who's always tinkering too make the perfect recipe and has a small side business.. Uncle Phil's hot sauce won a couple awards down in Cincinnati last couple of years...

Not a big fan of hot sauce but the kids are and they like it... Here's hoping you come up with some great recipes that workout for you Jesse...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hey ole buddy! Have I got a hot pepper mustard recipe for you! Also, a real good salsa recipe. When I get home from Cleveland, I will surely post my shit. Lol.

When you plant your garden make sure you have plenty of tomato plants. The two salsa recipes I have take quite a bit of maters. Grow several types. I really like Celebrities, better boys, super steaks and big boys, just to name a few.

The peppers, however the better mustard tends to use more hot peppers than mild ones. I usually plant at least 18 Hungarian wax, 2 jalapeño plants and 6 bell peppers. You will use all of those in my recipes.

Onions, garlic and cilantro as well. It's an absolute fun thing to do in the early fall. I did it for college football tailgating and party food. I have a bunch of hot pepper mustard canned. Send me a text or PM and I can give a couple of pints to try.