Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day of dove

scottofalltrades

I just went and scoped out the dove fields at Berlin. I'd love to get a group of guys there for opening day/weekend. If not I would be willing to travel out to meet a group elsewhere.

This field is set up nice with the power lines above the sunflowers. Plenty of water around. Walk in isn't bad, pretty brushy though.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Brock myself and a couple other guys meet up at paint Creek every year. It's always what you would expect with public land dove hunting , tons of doves and tons of people. I would highly recommend not taking the dog and taking some eye protection, i get peppered almost every year.

scottofalltrades

I was thinking of leaving the dog at home. For the first few days. His first season and I'm still working him.

Not sure where Paint Creek is sounds like it's worth a Google.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love opening day of dove season. Can't wait!

Fyi be careful with the dog... It's not legal to have a dog on state ground between May 1st and August 31st, even if it's leashed. I know... Dumb rule. But they WILL write a ticket for it.

scottofalltrades

I love opening day of dove season. Can't wait!

Fyi be careful with the dog... It's not legal to have a dog on state ground between May 1st and August 31st, even if it's leashed. I know... Dumb rule. But they WILL write a ticket for it.
Jager,

Not sure that is the case there at Berlin It may be a gray area. The dog training grounds border are also there. I was out a couple of weeks ago getting Mack used to gunfire. GW came to check on me and I confirmed legality of during the gun outside of a season. He said as long as I was actively training a dog I was good.

That field not being far from there, I wonder if there is some leeway there? Definitely good to know though. I won't be taking him to any other WMAs anytime soon.

Last edited:

Just 1 More

I miss a good dove shoot.. Down south it was almost as big a deal as a national holiday. Fields used to have BBQ catered in and it was a great time. What dates is everyone thinking of doing a shoot?

Kempire

Look forward to opening day every year. One of these days I'll actually find a farmer willing to let me and a buddy sit out in their field. Until then I too will get to experience the annual #9 shot rain drops landing all around me on public land.

scottofalltrades

Ok. I know the walk back to where they put the field this year was a beast. I think the walk from the other parking area wouldn't be so bad but it was closed.

scottofalltrades

Is the field between leffingwell and western reserve?
The long horizontal field at the intersection of the two parking spots is the left most portion. The parking spot off of Fewtown Rd was open, but not the one off of 32. Germantown Rd I think.

Kempire

I just ordered my mojos today, used them once, decided what the hell you only live once
Picked one up this year too. Tried to go cheap in the past and got the wind power deals and was none too impressed.

No way I won't limit out now![emoji15]

Wmiller07

I have a mojo teal decoy that is deadly on pidgeons and doves. Im sure any duck mojo will work so if you ha e one I'd bring that too.

Bigcountry40

Picked one up this year too. Tried to go cheap in the past and got the wind power deals and was none too impressed.

No way I won't limit out now![emoji15]

Typically I limit out on college football and beer after shooting 4 doves and picking 3 ticks off my ass.