Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation coyote necktie.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had a friend of mine that butchers deer give me some leftover carcasses. I drug them out to the is small 15 acre woodblock I have permission on that always seems to have yotes in it and wired them to a tree.

It's really thick in here so I went about 20 yards away and started hanging snares on the trails leading to the carcasses. Today is check number 6 and nada so far. With the spacing of the woodblock here in corn country the coyotes are very nomadic usually taking a while before they circle back through. That's OK though as snares are a very patient trap.

So far I have 9 out in this location guarding the carcasses.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dropped one more in on a field edge trail that was just too good to pass up. A few years ago the farmer came and cleared about 10 yards of woods from around the edge and pushed it all up against the edge. This leaves only small gaps like this to get through.

Before

After

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I set 3 on a place I turkey hunt seems like the last few years they haven't been roosting there because the yotes raise hell in that woods in the spring there's a den in there somewhere.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have had success dragging brush around the carcass and limiting access that way .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have had success dragging brush around the carcass and limiting access that way .
Good idea. In this area it's pretty thick so plugging the trails and openings didn't take much. The invasive amur honeysuckle snaps easy and is bushy so it doesn't take a lot to block an approach and direct them into a snare. I just need them to show back up after making their rounds.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I drag the carcass into the thickest stuff I can, and if I have to I'll narrow down the trails leading to it with branches that I stick in the ground. I've always heard that it's best to set 30-40 yards if not farther off the carcass so the yote isn't at a slower pace when it hits the snare.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nada today. Although there were some fresh tracks out in the field about 80 yards away. I did set another snare to plug a hole coming out into the field. Pliers are for scale. It's not going to catch one sitting in my pack.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Driving to go run the snares. I love this time of day it's almost like Christmas morning. Except that fat guy seems to have forgot my address. Lol.

Today is day 9 and I haven't seen any activity at the bait pile which is very strange. I didn't notice some new tracks in the field yesterday so at least they've started to come back around. Maybe lucky day number 9 is it and I'll know in about an hour

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Driving to go run the snares. I love this time of day it's almost like Christmas morning. Except that fat guy seems to have forgot my address. Lol.

Today is day 9 and I haven't seen any activity at the bait pile which is very strange. I didn't notice some new tracks in the field yesterday so at least they've started to come back around. Maybe lucky day number 9 is it and I'll know in about an hour
My buddy that has been snaring for years said he's seen them take up to 3 weeks to hit a bait pile again.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A I hung a rabbit up in a tree at the same spot and it took them three nights to find it and jump up there and get it. So I figured they would be on these deer carcass faster than that. But from inspecting them all I can see is chew marks from smaller animals like possums and Coons. What I was really hoping for is that nasty February cold snap to really get them hungry. Granted I'm only sneering about a 10 Acre Wood block also into a coyote expecially up here in farm country that's nothing. Tillis that's like the square footage of our coat Closet in our house. Lol. They'll be back around I just got to have some more patience. I'll know more in about 20 minutes

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Patience is the name of the game in trapping lol. They hit one of my carcasses last week when we got the snow and haven't been back since. A cold snap would be nice, ain't looking good for next week though:(