Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions...... What Do You Think????

Fletch

Supporting Member
So last Oct. I got my 2018 bear back... Being an old bear his fur was thin, so I had a friend mount him... Overall didn't do a bad job... However when I hung it on the wall it started to fall forward... The board that the hanger was attached to started pulling out of the form... WTF... Had other health issues to deal with so just set it aside till about a month ago... Took it to another taxidermist who said problem was cape was too short for the form so original guy shortened the form thus removing original block that was embedded in form... Then he put a piece of 2x4 in its place with a screw and some glue....TOTAL SHIT JOB.... New guy cut a hole in back and inserted a piece of 5x5 with holes drilled through... Then he mixed up a 2 part foam and poured it in... Stuff expanded like crazy, now it's solid... Only issue now is the one leg is to far back and should have been altered before it was put together... This makes it impossible to hang on wall as it will point down... Sooooo I set it on an end table covered in camo burlap for now... Ordered some plants to go around it... And no guy that did it first was not my friend that I hunt with in Illinois and mounts my deer... Man that's almost as long a post as Wildlife's.... So how's it look????
IMG_20200907_124519.jpg
IMG_20200907_124000.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200907124214279_COVER.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200907124123449_COVER.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looks good. That full body mount is good also...both Jersey bears? Ever kill a bear in another state or province?
That full mount is a PA. bear shot with a rifle (35 whelen) it was 285 lbs dressed... Check station said live weight around 330 lbs.... That was a 2 year old bear according to info I got back... Other bear was 375 lbs dressed... Biologist said probably 425 live weight... Remember I said he may go 450 lbs when checking trail cam pics... He was 12 years old.... Gotta break the 500 lb dressed mark this year...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Very nice trophy room. Most people won’t kill the size deer you have mounted once, nor bear.

I’m just not a fan of bear mounts for some reason, but I like yours.
Thanks.... I've killed a few decent deer but don't consider myself a great deer hunter, average at most... What I do have are some great properties that have some great genes... Having access to great properties is 80% of the game... Add in a little woodsmanship and luck and you fill your tag... Bear mounts I really don't like an aggressive mount as they are not an aggressive bear... I like a slightly open mouth as if breathing heavy showing their teeth and gums, this adds color more than anything to the mount... Here's another angle of full body mount.. He looks like he's been pushed and comes to a rock wall and is considering where to run next. Mouth slightly open panting...
20190326_131736.jpg

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
That’s an awesome bear mount. Got to have a man cave as it takes up a lot of space. I agree on the property, it is 80%. I’ve always said don’t hunt for a 160 when the land will only produce a 125. Target rich environments (TRE) is the shit and makes it seem way easier. I kill a decent buck about every 6-8 years, no giants just good bucks for my area. Going to the Midwest on rut hunts improves my odds tremendously.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yeh... Most of my decent bucks are Illinois deer... In 2003 I stepped in shit out there and met a landowner that has turned to gold... We have become like brothers, couldn't have met a nicer family... He's got a ton of contacts and we have properties that produce great bucks year after year... You hit the nail on the head... I don't care if your the best deer hunter on the face of the earth, if a property doesn't have 160 deer on it your behind the 8 ball I don't care who you are.... To kill a giant you have to hunt where giants are... Same with bears... You can go to Canada every year and be hard pressed to kill a 300 lber... They are just not that common in most camps... Yet come to Jersey and you may kill a world record... Why they grow so big here and in Pa. Is beyond me... Next year save a few extra vacation days and come hunt bears here... I'll put you in an area that has bears and you'll be amazed with the area and how wild it is....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know anything about bear mounts but it looks good to me. I love that full mount. Very cool.

Spot on with your deer assessment. Can't kill a 140 or 160" if the area doesn't grow that size deer.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Give me 2.5 years and I may take you up on that. [emoji106]

All I have to offer is outstanding fishing, some ducks, 120” deer and food that is second to none anywhere. Oh you can kill all my bears. No tags needed hehe.
Hell... In 2.5 years, we may have a new governor and state land will be open.... Damn gonna be alot of bears by then... LOL... Maybe Fury will make the drive up... Be like a TOO get-together... Maybe even "J" would come... Or any other TOO members if they like.... Hey bring the wife... A little over an hour's drive and she's in New York City... You hunt, she's goes in the city with your credit card, see a show or two and do a little shopping... LOL

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You improvised very well with the Camo under the mount Rich as it flows together very well IMO. I think both bears look very nice from what I can tell as do all of your great looking deer. So many great memories on that wall and many more to be added for sure I hope. Thanks for sharing and be safe and stay healthy over your way buddy!
You still looking to buy some property over this way?

Reactions: Fletch

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Here's another angle of full body mount.. He looks like he's been pushed and comes to a rock wall and is considering where to run next. Mouth slightly open panting...
View attachment 108981

Interesting take....however, what I see is a gay rapist bear...comes to a rock wall...watching a older gentlemen carrying donuts into the woods...mouth slightly open panting.😂

Fletch

Supporting Member
You improvised very well with the Camo under the mount Rich as it flows together very well IMO. I think both bears look very nice from what I can tell as do all of your great looking deer. So many great memories on that wall and many more to be added for sure I hope. Thanks for sharing and be safe and stay healthy over your way buddy!
You still looking to buy some property over this way?
Thanks to all the late commentors, nice words appreciated... Ric.. I look every day at properties, however nothing that I like or everything has been logged or no mineral rights.... Gonna try and stay safe and hopefully healthy.... Like I mentioned in another thread somewhere looking to create some special memories with my 85 year old brother in Illinois come Nov... Gonna be a blast... He's been golfing 2 or 3 times every week so he's feeling up to it... Hell may get around better than me.... LOL...