Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Otters

Creamer

Athens
Just a curious question, does anyone here know of Athens area river otter sightings? I was fishing the Hocking yesterday evening right along campus and saw something that I can't say for sure WASN'T one. I've never seen a beaver in that stretch of river, and it was way too big to be a muskrat. It also moved with a lot more agility than I've ever seen from a beaver (well, that kind of beaver). It swam along the weeds across the river from me, then swam quickly up into some shallow water like it was chasing something, then I lost sight of it.

Reactions: Spencie

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So the ODNR can send employees out to stop at bridges all over the state and walk 600 yards of each bank to gauge river otter populations, but when I suggested county wardens conduct deer surveys using a similar method of driving a specific route in their county each year counting deer he laughed and said it was too expensive. 🤣

Screenshot_20220520-084146_Chrome.jpg

Johnny44

Just a curious question, does anyone here know of Athens area river otter sightings? I was fishing the Hocking yesterday evening right along campus and saw something that I can't say for sure WASN'T one. I've never seen a beaver in that stretch of river, and it was way too big to be a muskrat. It also moved with a lot more agility than I've ever seen from a beaver (well, that kind of beaver). It swam along the weeds across the river from me, then swam quickly up into some shallow water like it was chasing something, then I lost sight of it.
"that kind of beaver"... I spit water on my computer screen

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
There are otter all over the Hocking River, especially Athens. If you get out onto the sand bars on the river, they're littered with otter sign and the remains of hundreds of mussels that they've eaten

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
There was a pic posted on a local radio station page showing two otters (cell phone pic) out near Raccoon Creek, also. I think it was the Moonville-Lake Hope area.

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
There was a pic posted on a local radio station page showing two otters (cell phone pic) out near Raccoon Creek, also. I think it was the Moonville-Lake Hope area.
That section of raccoon is probably the best chance of snagging an otter. Unfortunately both times I've drawn the place the weather was horrible.

Creamer

Athens
That section of raccoon is probably the best chance of snagging an otter. Unfortunately both times I've drawn the place the weather was horrible.

It's a fun area to fish, too. But like you said, it's sensitive to weather. And those mosquitos out there are like a different breed. Relentless bastards.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So the ODNR can send employees out to stop at bridges all over the state and walk 600 yards of each bank to gauge river otter populations, but when I suggested county wardens conduct deer surveys using a similar method of driving a specific route in their county each year counting deer he laughed and said it was too expensive. 🤣
When I was a kid, I was told they use to use the mailmen to keep track of wildlife on a given day in the rural areas.