Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out west?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My brother and i are looking at hunting out west. Mainly interested in elk, but if can add on others that's great. Looking for good odds to harvest an animal and it doesn't have to be a bull but obviously that's preferred. Fine with hunting for a bull but if it comes to tag soup or cow, shooting the cow. Reasonable pricing please. We only crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun hunt currently, not opposed to buying a new rifle.

We have no preference points built up. Anyone remember which meateater book talks about the best odds for out west hunting?

Open to any option to style of hunt and realize the more hand holding from a fire the pricier it gets.

Timeline is the next few years.

Bigcountry40

You are talking rifle correct? Best thing to do is have a “connection” someone who lives out there or knows the area. In my experience filling out applications in some states you have to have doctorate. Colorado now requires non residents to purchase small game licenses even if the are not drawn

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
so I read a little bit about the program, is it free market highest bidder or is their some regulation so rich and outfitters can’t eat up all the tags

It's free market. The landowner can sell the tag to anyone he wants. But like you said rich outfitters eat up all the tags on properties worth hunting.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
so I read a little bit about the program, is it free market highest bidder or is their some regulation so rich and outfitters can’t eat up all the tags
Only thing I could add to what Joe said is that I’ve only seen it done through outfitters. And no regulation that I’m aware of but market forces and willingness to pay keep it on the edge of sanity. Barely.

Buckmaster

Portage
My buddy has been going to CO annually. They hunt public with an outfitter whom takes them from basecamp to a wall tent. The outfitter picks them up 4 days later. The cost is about $2k per man tag included.

Reactions: Hedgelj

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My buddy has been going to CO annually. They hunt public with an outfitter whom takes them from basecamp to a wall tent. The outfitter picks them up 4 days later. The cost is about $2k per man tag included.

I listened to a podcast from Randy Newberg a while back about doing that. He said it can be a good way to go but it also has it's limitations. The guides usually put the same tent in an area year after year and may have a few of them scattered around different areas. There may or may not be elk there. Once you get there if you don't have a bike or horse you're limited to being on foot. If you don't have any elk close and have to hike 10 miles to locate some that will make for some long 20 mile days. Once you locate elk you can't move camp to stay on them. And if you're lucky, and there are elk there, you will need to be super careful not to blow them out. Which odds are you will.

Bigcountry40

I drew in Colorado and went with locals which we set up a basecamp wall tent, I killed my cow for under 1k including gas, food, tags, etc. One nice thing about going with locals and having ur own truck is you can go out and explore if needed and legally road hunt from park roads.

Bigcountry40

Only thing I could add to what Joe said is that I’ve only seen it done through outfitters. And no regulation that I’m aware of but market forces and willingness to pay keep it on the edge of sanity. Barely.
So for a 60k teacher I'm back to the 6% drawing. To quote Dumb and Dumber "so you're saying there's a chance"!