Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

PA hunters that hunt Ohio

Bowman

Yes it is official. They did it a couple of months ago. Kinda stinks a little as you can no longer put the deer in the truck and drive home to process it for those that live and hunt close to the borders.

True, like in my case I'm just over the border, so close that some of the bucks I've taken probably were in PA at one time or another?

Normally I'd just take it over the line to a local processor here in PA, but can't do that now, which I have a hard time understanding? It's not like I"d be dragging the deer around in PA woods, or around live deer in PA to spread it? And once at the processer in PA all the deer there are dead anyways?

Seems a bit extreme, I personally see no harm taking it to a PA processor, that only have dead deer there anyways. I Can understand someone taking it home in their backyard to process it, where other deer might frequent. I'm hoping they make exceptions for transports directly to processors? If they don't where's it end? Next my truck will be quarantined from the PA since an Ohio deer was in the bed?

Last edited:
True, like in my case I'm just over the border, so close that some of the bucks I've taken probably were in PA at one time or another?

Normally I'd just take it over the line to a local processor here in PA, but can't do that now, which I have a hard time understanding? It's not like I"d be dragging the deer around in PA woods, or around live deer in PA to spread it? And once at the processer in PA all the deer there are dead anyways?

The thought is that they don't want to bring in the high risk parts from a potential CWD deer into the state where there isn't CWD since the brain and spinal cord could have the prions and if disposed of on the landscape could potentially affect the resident deer.. Personally I think the new reg is a little overkill. It should only be if you are hunting in a county that has had CWD deer positives found. However it is what it is. I will just quarter the deer and bring home the meat. Biggest issue if if we shoot something worth doing a head mount since you can't bring in the skull. This means I would have to skin out the head and cut the skull plate or take it to a taxi in Ohio.

Bowman

The thought is that they don't want to bring in the high risk parts from a potential CWD deer into the state where there isn't CWD since the brain and spinal cord could have the prions and if disposed of on the landscape could potentially affect the resident deer..

I understand that, but I would of thought all processors in PA have to follow guidelines on proper disposal anyways, as a precaution as not to spread it if it would unknowingly exist? If you are saying PA processors have no prevention program tied in their disposal where they can dispose of it at will, then I understand. Just can't imagine them not having a program in place with all PA processors, for this reason?

I understand that, but I would of thought all processors in PA have to follow guidelines on proper disposal anyways, as a precaution as not to spread it if it would unknowingly exist? If you are saying PA processors have no prevention program tied in their disposal where they can dispose of it at will, then I understand. Just can't imagine them not having a program in place with all PA processors, for this reason?

I think alot of the PA processors especially some small guys simply dump them back in the holler. I would imagine many put them in the garbage? You also have alot of people like myself who butcher their own deer and mine get dumped on the back 40.

Bowman

[QUOTE="Bowman, post: 627343, member: 4887" Just can't imagine them not having a program in place with all PA processors, for this reason?[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, this only a guess on my part? Next time I'm by the local processor, I'll ask if the PGC implemented new disposal regs on them,. with the new CWD regulation in effect? If they haven't as much as they are pushing this, it wouldn't look good on their part, as other parts of the State have had positive results, so you would think they would want to be proactive, as it's not like it don't exist here, and only in other States?

[QUOTE="Bowman, post: 627343, member: 4887" Just can't imagine them not having a program in place with all PA processors, for this reason?

Just to clarify, this only a guess on my part? Next time I'm by the local processor, I'll ask if the PGC implemented new disposal regs on them,. with the new CWD regulation in effect? If they haven't as much as they are pushing this, it wouldn't look good on their part, as other parts of the State have had positive results, so you would think they would want to be proactive, as it's not like it don't exist here, and only in other States?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am not really sure what the regs are. Don't know if the processors fall under PGC authority or is that Dept of Ag? Post if you find out what they are required to do.

Bowman

What county you hunting in Ohio?

Not sure if I even will this year? But previous years, mainly Columbiana Co. and Jefferson at times. After EHD Jefferson is definitely not worth it, Columbiana was hit also, but didn't seem as bad as Jefferson?

Bowman

Yes I am not really sure what the regs are. Don't know if the processors fall under PGC authority or is that Dept of Ag? Post if you find out what they are required to do.

Not sure either? When I find out I'll post back. As much as they are pushing this, I would hope they imposed restrictions on disposal?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not sure if I even will this year? But previous years, mainly Columbiana Co. and Jefferson at times. After EHD Jefferson is definitely not worth it, Columbiana was hit also, but didn't seem as bad as Jefferson?

Calcutta and below looks like they took the brunt of it... Beaver creek seemed like the line in the sand...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Bowman... Welcome to the site... Gotta ask this: Are you a Steelers Fan???? And No... I don't live in Ohio..... Formally from Westmoreland County....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Bowman... Welcome to the site... Gotta ask this: Are you a Steelers Fan???? And No... I don't live in Ohio..... Formally from Westmoreland County....
E9563DF6-5F2F-442E-866F-5403E192E187.jpeg
06DA7C5B-4180-484B-B0EC-E97661CD61CA.jpeg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Damn.… Bowman will never answer the question now... Bowman I was just trying to get "J" fired up... All is good here with some good ole ball busting... Actually the NFL has lost a lot of members on here with their recent bullshit... But... I did see somewhere that the Steelers beat the Eagles in pre-season…. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
As for CWD and transporting deer across state lines, I was under the assumption its frowned upon now for several years and if stopped and antlers not capped that the deer would be confiscated...

As for CWD and transporting deer across state lines, I was under the assumption its frowned upon now for several years and if stopped and antlers not capped that the deer would be confiscated...

From the article in PA this was the previous rule.

"While the order has always prohibited whole deer from being brought into Pennsylvania from most U.S. states and Canadian provinces where CWD exists, it previously permitted deer harvested in New York, Ohio, Maryland or West Virginia to be brought in, so long as the deer weren’t reported to have been harvested in any county where CWD has been detected."

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yes I do believe it pertained to states having had cases of CWD....