Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Patriot Mobile?

Jamie

Ohio
I got an email advertisement from them through the NRA. yes, it sounds like a really great business model, but...

I've been a Sprint customer since 1998, since I got my very first wireless analog phone for work. scares the shit out of me to change up something I've taken for granted for 20 years. that and there is not very much positive feedback out there from Patriot Mobile customers. according to my math, I can literally cut my monthly wireless bill in half (lease payment for phone excluded). sounds too good to be true that I can get the same quality/reliability for half the price and support conservative causes at the same time. admittedly, I'm paying for much more data than we ever come close to using.

https://www.patriotmobile.com/

Chass

The Hills
I got an email advertisement from them through the NRA. yes, it sounds like a really great business model, but...

I've been a Sprint customer since 1998, since I got my very first wireless analog phone for work. scares the shit out of me to change up something I've taken for granted for 20 years. that and there is not very much positive feedback out there from Patriot Mobile customers. according to my math, I can literally cut my monthly wireless bill in half (lease payment for phone excluded). sounds too good to be true that I can get the same quality/reliability for half the price and support conservative causes at the same time. admittedly, I'm paying for much more data than we ever come close to using.

https://www.patriotmobile.com/
I'd stay so far away from that. If they're using someone else's network for a cheaper price they're cutting somewhere and most likely adding charges somewhere else. When things go down, guess whose the last priority as well. You can see this with many of the cable providers as well piggy backing off big providers systems. Downtimes of days, not hours when they occur.

Jamie

Ohio
I don't recall ever experiencing any interruption of my cellular service, ever. not talking about dead zones in coverage. do you work in this industry, Chass?

Chass

The Hills
If you live in a populated area you may never notice a cellular outage, other than the rare major outage that affects multiple services and providers when backbone equipment goes down. Much more noticable in rural areas which the most frequent being closest to dead zones or low service areas as when there is an interruption theres no redundancies close enough to take over. Not directly in the cellular field but IT professional.

Reactions: Jamie

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I'd stay so far away from that. If they're using someone else's network for a cheaper price they're cutting somewhere and most likely adding charges somewhere else. When things go down, guess whose the last priority as well. You can see this with many of the cable providers as well piggy backing off big providers systems. Downtimes of days, not hours when they occur.

There are many many MVNO providers out there. Which basically means companies that sell service but use one of the big carriers network. That is how they can offer service so cheap. They do not have the network to maintain. Straight Talk, consumer Cellular, etc are other examples. If the network goes down it wouldn't just effect the MVNO customers but would also impact the big carriers customers. They will get the network fixed as soon as possible. When they do the MVNO customers will be resolved as well. The biggest difference in the services is Data speed. The MVNO customers usually don't get access to the fastest speeds. They are still adequate just not the fastest available. The other difference is if the big carriers has roaming agreements in areas they do not have a network it usually isn't available to the MVNO customers.

You can also look at Boost, Metro, or Cricket as they are similar priced as the MVNO's but are owned by Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T respectively so they usually have access to the roaming agreements as well.

Reactions: Jamie and Isaacorps

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
If you live in a populated area you may never notice a cellular outage, other than the rare major outage that affects multiple services and providers when backbone equipment goes down. Much more noticable in rural areas which the most frequent being closest to dead zones or low service areas as when there is an interruption theres no redundancies close enough to take over. Not directly in the cellular field but IT professional.

I will say that the only difference that could impact only the MVNO customers and not the Major carrier customers would be a billing system issue or a middleware issue. In my experience these issues are less common and if they do happen are usually resolved very quickly. Typically when these type issues do happen they only impact a small subset of the MVNO's customers.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
I talked with a very nice, helpful, and candid customer service person at Patriot Mobile as well as exchanging a few emails. I think I'm going to give this a try. Since I'm already using Sprint's network (is all I've ever used) and Patriot uses it, too, I should experience no change in data speeds or coverage. the one thing she did mention was that it is possible, however unlikely, that I could experience some differences in roaming coverage because of the agreements different companies have with each other. I've gone through the last couple of years usage on our billing and only one time in the last two years did we go over 4GB of high speed data. on average we are around 3GB or so per month. The NRA exclusive offer I'm going with is unlimited talk/text/data with 4GB of high speed data included for $44 per month for one line, $20 more to add second line. $64 plus tax for two lines. this is about 1/3 of what I'm paying Sprint every month. If it sucks I'll eat the necessary fees to go back to Sprint. a worthwhile calculated risk in my head.

https://www.patriotmobile.com/products/4freedom-plan-nra-special

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Jamie

Ohio
my sentiment exactly. I don't normally do whacky stuff like this, but my gut is telling me to go for it. also, since we own our phones and are bringing them with us, we get our first month of service for free, but have to pay a $30 activation fee per line, so I break even on the switch.

Jamie

Ohio
I finally got all the arrangements made and am now a Patriot Mobile customer. Getting Sprint to unlock our phones was a big fucking hassle, and the customer service lady at Patriot warned me that Sprint would not cooperate much in getting the phones (which I own) unlocked. everything else about this deal was great. only been one day, but I cannot tell any difference in my service except that I didn't get 10 calls from out of state telemarketers and robots. time will tell, but so far, so good.

Jamie

Ohio
It's been a full month now since I switched to Patriot Mobile. I'll give them 5 stars. I have experienced exactly no difference in my service or coverage, and neither has Nancy.

save a bunch of money. deal with customer service people who are Americans that speak English as their first language, or manage your account yourself on their very simple and easy to navigate website. eliminate mystery fees on your bill, support conservative causes instead of whacko leftists and their retarded agendas. I was skeptical, but cannot find a downside here. I would encourage anyone to check them out. they have a referral program, too. so, if any of you decide to make a change contact me for my account info and we might both save even more money.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Jamie

Ohio
this is an email I got shortly after we switched. the last sentence got my attention. it isn't often that the CEO invites you to contact them directly. I like that. I was reading about Morri Leland a bit. Very accomplished and interesting guy.

Jamie Miller,
You are now supporting conservative values by using your mobile phone Thank you for choosing Patriot Mobile. You have joined thousands of Americans that are actively supporting organizations that fight for Conservative values. We make it easy: a portion of your monthly bill helps fund American organizations focused on Conservative principles such as faith, family, defending the Constitution, supporting our military and veterans, smaller government, and free speech. President Ronald Reagan said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” At Patriot Mobile, we believe that words such as “freedom” and “patriotism” are nothing to be ashamed of. We are proud of our country and our heritage. We must protect it. Our mission begins with you, by providing great service at a fair value. How well we serve our Members and how well we carry out our mission to advance Conservative values is important. If you have feedback or suggestions feel free to contact me at CEO@PatriotMobile.com Sincerely, Morri Leland Chief Executive Officer
Patriot Mobile​

©2019 Patriot Mobile All Rights Reserved

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jamie

Ohio
I thought I should update this thread. has been a year since I switched, and I'm still giving Patriot mobile 5 stars. I ought to give them 6 out of 5 since they just added 10 GB of high speed data to my account for free because of pandemic. Not one single hiccup in service since I switched. I saved over $1000 dollars on my cellular phone bills since I left Sprint. this is seriously a good deal if you are an NRA member.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
A lot of people shy away from the Prepaid carriers and I never understood why.
Same network as the bigger companies for half the price. Biggest difference is the phone prices and even that had evened out some.

One caution I will throw out there in regards to Patriot Mobile. They operate on the Sprint Network. With the T-Mobile purchasing Sprint they will shut down the Sprint Network for the most part. They will be divesting some to Dish Network. It will be interesting to see how it comes out in the end.

I would imagine Patriot has contingency plans.

Reactions: Jamie and 5Cent