Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phragmites

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent yesterday and most of today in Medina County. Interesting to note the absence of poison hemlock and Johnsongrass along the road banks like we have down south and instead it's almost all phragmites from Tusc County on up. Is that a new thing for you northern boys? Is it considered an invasive? It's some cool looking stuff and it's definitely thick as hell, so I can see the upsides and downsides to it.

Reactions: Gern186 and Mike

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We’ve been inundated with Phragmites for 15 years or so. It gets worse as you get closer to Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie. It’s found up here pretty much anywhere that lays wet. There is a great deal of effort and money spent each year to keep it somewhat contained. I’m not a fan of phrag from an invasive species standpoint. However, I do believe it’s presence is a major reason we grow so many big deer up here around the marshes.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have some areas on my property that lay wet, however I don't have any phrag growing here. Any idea how to establish some?

Reactions: Mike

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Big time in wetland areas and leacheds in northern OH and Michigan from what I know. One area in Norton/Barberton had a huge fire over a wetland a few years ago from that stuff right along 76 near Barber Rd.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh yea! 77 up and down

- You’d trip over an autumn olive,tree of heaven and Bradford pear but luckily a nice bed of Phragmites would be there to cushion ones fall! Lol!

Keep killing them!!
I’ve got 5 Bradford pear trees around the property. They look nice for one week out of the year 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Mike and at1010